DJ Holy Body's Blog - Chapter 49 (A Science Fiction Novel)

I'm a martial artist.  I finally found a couple of studios to study at.  I don't tell anybody though that I've studied for about 30 years.  There's no reason to brag about it.  Martial arts is a discipline and yes it's used for defense and offense, but most importantly it makes the mind one with the body.

My martial arts of choice are Kenpo Karate, Taekwondo, and Kickboxing.  The Muay Thai that I've studied was mixed in with my American kickboxing lessons, so I just call it Kickboxing to keep it simple.  And I suppose I could say that I've studied Krav Maga also, except not enough to say much except it is brutal and should only be used in emergency situations.

I started at 7 years old with Taekwondo.  I think I made it to a green belt, or maybe a blue belt.  I competed with Taekwondo one time and was put up against a kid twice my size who charley horsed me in the leg so hard I could barely finish the fight.  I can't blame him for the move that was a blatant violation of the rules though.  He won, and I lost.  He was bigger than me, better than me, and he broke the rules.  Therefore, I became better from that fight in the long run for being able to take the pain.  I'm sure I cried at the time.  Luckily for me, I competed with what are called forms or Poomsae before getting pounded by the giant.

Then came Karate, and I studied that for quite a while.  That's where I probably studied the longest.  Actually no that's not true, I studied Kickboxing way longer now that I think of it.  Anyways I competed with Karate and wasn't anything special in terms of skill.  Saying that my legs were inflexible is an understatement.  Stretching used to be the most painful activity, even more painful sometimes than taking a punch or kick.

I didn't study martial arts with an instructor during high school but picked up Kenpo Karate again when I lived in LA.  The workouts were intense.  My Shidoshi started training me to become an instructor, and I would have pursued that if it wasn't for my music career.  Eventually, I became so interested in Muay Thai, and after finding an expert teacher, I stopped with Karate for a while.

And after all this training I'm now a white belt.  With the Kickboxing that I studied there was no belt system.  Now that I'm studying a mix of Karate, Kickboxing, and Taekwondo, I'm back to being a white belt.  I'm cool with that because the belt is really just to help hold up your pants.

Comments

Popular Posts