The One They Disdain - A Novella written by David Charles Kramer
The One They Disdain
A Novella
ACT I
THE MAN EVERYBODY REMEMBERS
Chapter One
Sister Verena Remembers Los Angeles
Sister Verena Vale remembered the first time David Karma destroyed the world.
She was twelve years old.
It happened on a Thursday afternoon while her mother stood at the stove making tomato sauce.
The television above the refrigerator showed Los Angeles burning beneath a red sky. Helicopters circled a hotel downtown. Crowds ran through streets littered with glass. Somewhere beyond the camera, sirens wailed continuously.
And on the roof of the hotel stood a man dressed in black.
David Karma.
The One They Disdain.
Verena remembered her mother dropping the wooden spoon.
She remembered sauce striking the yellow linoleum.
She remembered her father coming into the kitchen, seeing the television, and grabbing Verena by the shoulders.
“Don’t look at him.”
Verena had asked why.
Her father was crying.
“Because he remembers us before we were born.”
For thirty-four years, Sister Verena remembered every detail.
The spoon.
The linoleum.
The red sky.
Her father’s fingers.
David’s face.
There was only one difficulty.
None of it had happened.
At twelve, Verena lived in Cleveland.
Her mother despised tomato sauce.
The hotel in the memory had not yet been built.
Los Angeles had not burned.
And David Karma had been eleven years old.
Still, Verena remembered him.
That was the part she could never reason away.
At forty-six, Sister Verena Vale held three doctorates, spoke six languages badly enough to annoy native speakers in all six, and had devoted most of her adult life to theology, cognition, mass belief, and the distinction between revelation and delusion.
She was famous among the sort of people who enjoyed phrases like epistemic contamination in post-network religious environments.
Sister Imelda Ruiz believed this was punishment enough.
“Your coffee is cold,” Imelda said.
Verena looked down.
It was.
“You let it sit there forty minutes.”
“I was thinking.”
“You do that too much.”
“I’m a scholar.”
“You’re a nun with acid reflux.”
Verena looked across the convent kitchen.
Imelda was seventy-three, five feet tall, and had the expression of a woman who had already forgiven you but intended to make sure you understood what an idiot you had been.
She had taught algebra.
Run a shelter.
Managed parish finances.
Broken up fights.
Once persuaded a man trying to rob a church pantry to help unload canned beans before leaving.
He had sent a Christmas card the following year.
Verena trusted her completely.
“I remembered Los Angeles again.”
Imelda buttered toast.
“You were never in Los Angeles.”
“I know.”
“Then remember Cleveland.”
“That is not how memory works.”
“It should be.”
Verena watched her.
“Do you ever remember things that didn’t happen?”
Imelda stopped.
For the smallest fraction of a second, something changed in her face.
Then it vanished.
“Yes.”
Verena straightened.
“What?”
“I remember believing you would become easygoing.”
Verena frowned.
“That is not the same.”
“Hurts the same.”
The wall chimed.
“Visitor at the east entrance.”
Imelda sighed.
“Government?”
“Federal Office of Cognitive Integrity.”
Imelda crossed herself.
“Worse.”
Agent Leon Mercer entered carrying a tablet, a raincoat, and the weary dignity of a man who had survived too many meetings.
Technically, the Federal Office of Cognitive Integrity did not employ intelligence officers.
It employed Cognitive Continuity Specialists.
This distinction mattered intensely to the Federal Office of Cognitive Integrity and nowhere else on Earth.
Mercer sat.
Imelda placed coffee in front of him.
“Black.”
He blinked.
“How did you know?”
“You look divorced.”
Verena closed her eyes.
“Imelda.”
“What?”
Mercer slowly reached for cream.
Imelda nodded.
“Recently divorced.”
She walked away.
Mercer stared after her.
“Does she like anybody?”
“Christ.”
“Anyone available for questioning?”
“No.”
Mercer opened his tablet.
“We have another event.”
Verena’s entire posture changed.
“Where?”
“Sacramento.”
“When?”
“Last night. Eleven forty-two.”
“Witnesses?”
“One hundred eighty-seven.”
“Lucy logs?”
“Normal.”
“Video?”
“Normal until eleven forty-two.”
“And then?”
Mercer turned the screen.
A nightclub appeared.
People danced beneath blue lights.
A bartender poured vodka.
A woman removed a jacket.
A young man bent to tie his shoe.
At exactly 11:42 p.m., everybody stopped.
Not gradually.
Every person in the room froze.
The music continued for three seconds.
Then disappeared.
The lights remained on.
Equipment stayed illuminated.
People moved their mouths.
No sound.
For nineteen seconds, one hundred eighty-seven people stood in absolute silence.
Then every hanging decoration in the room lifted toward the ceiling.
Mercer froze the image.
Verena leaned closer.
“No open doors.”
“No.”
“Ventilation?”
“Off.”
“Pressure anomaly?”
“None.”
“What did the witnesses report?”
Mercer hesitated.
“What?”
“Peace.”
Verena looked at him.
“That is not a measurable sensory event.”
“Tell them.”
“Interviewed separately?”
“Yes.”
“Same wording?”
“No. Different words. Relief. Home. Safe. Loved. One guy said he suddenly knew everything would be okay.”
Verena looked at the frozen dance floor.
“Who was working?”
Mercer swiped.
A photograph appeared.
David Karma.
Forty-seven.
Writer.
Disc jockey.
Father.
Divorced.
A catalog of speculative novels successful enough to encourage him and unsuccessful enough to keep him answering his own email.
Verena’s kitchen disappeared.
Red sky.
Tomato sauce.
Don’t look at him.
She whispered:
“The One They Disdain.”
Mercer rubbed his forehead.
“Please don’t start.”
“You know the phrase.”
“Everybody knows the phrase.”
“He wrote it.”
“In a novel.”
“You know what he is.”
“Yes. A DJ.”
“No.”
Mercer looked away.
That was enough.
Verena leaned forward.
“How many?”
“Verena.”
“How many people remember him?”
Mercer stayed silent.
“How many?”
He exhaled.
“Fourteen million confirmed anomalies.”
Verena’s hand flattened against the table.
Imelda returned with toast.
She took one look at Verena.
“Oh.”
Mercer glanced at her.
“What?”
“That’s the apocalypse face.”
“She has an apocalypse face?”
“Three.”
Imelda put down the plate.
“This is the medium one.”
Chapter Two
The One They Disdain Has a Wedding Saturday
David Karma was not destroying civilization.
He was trying to get a bride to answer a text.
Hi Jennifer! Just confirming Saturday ceremony is still 4:30. I’ll arrive around 1:30 for setup. Looking forward to it!
Read.
No response.
David stared.
“Fantastic.”
The waitress looked over.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
“You said fantastic like somebody died.”
“Nobody died.”
“Then that’s good.”
“Sure.”
David sat inside the Mariner Diner with scrambled eggs, coffee, and his laptop.
At forty-seven, he had reached the age when every chair was either excellent or personally insulting.
He opened his manuscript.
THE MAN WHO REMEMBERED TOMORROW
Chapter Thirty-One.
Nothing.
He typed:
The sky opened.
Deleted it.
Typed:
The sky did not open. Everybody simply realized it had never been closed.
He stared.
“That’s obnoxious.”
The waitress looked over.
“What?”
“Myself.”
“That I understand.”
His daughter Maya texted.
dad permission slip
David looked at the unsigned permission slip beside the laptop.
already handled
He stared at it.
Then:
by handled I mean I remembered it because you texted
Three dots.
mom says this is why she has trust issues
David smiled.
your mother had trust issues before me
she says exactly
David signed the paper.
Another message appeared.
Unknown sender.
I remember you.
He ignored it.
Another.
You came to my hospital room.
Another.
Why did you tell us to leave Denver?
Another.
You know what happens next.
Another.
I know what you are.
David turned the phone facedown.
For eight months, strangers had been remembering him.
At first he assumed it was trolling.
Then came photographs.
Drawings.
Journal pages.
People describing conversations with him in cities he had never visited.
A woman in Prague remembered David beside her hospital bed when she was seven.
A retired colonel remembered receiving battlefield orders from him.
A priest remembered arguing theology with him years before they could possibly have met.
Three women remembered marrying him.
One said he had been emotionally unavailable.
David found that unfair.
His phone rang.
Unknown number.
“David Karma.”
“Mr. Karma, Agent Leon Mercer, Federal Office of Cognitive Integrity.”
David stared toward the ceiling.
“Did I forget to renew my memory permit?”
“We need to speak.”
“About?”
“Halcyon nightclub.”
“Oh.”
“What happened at eleven forty-two?”
David looked into his coffee.
“A wind.”
“Inside a sealed room.”
“Yes.”
“Where did it come from?”
“If I knew, I’d charge admission.”
“Did you experience anything else?”
David thought about it.
The silence.
The upward-moving decorations.
Then the sensation afterward.
Not happiness.
Not excitement.
Not euphoria.
Something quieter.
Like suddenly discovering a room inside yourself had been waiting with the lights on.
“Peace.”
Mercer exhaled.
“Of course.”
“What does that mean?”
“Can you come to St. Lucia Convent this afternoon?”
“A convent?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“Someone wants to meet you.”
“A nun?”
“Yes.”
David smiled.
“What did I do to a nun?”
“That is an extremely complicated question.”
“I’ve never even dated one.”
“Mr. Karma.”
“I would remember.”
“Three o’clock.”
“I pick up my daughter.”
“Four.”
“Homework.”
“Five.”
“Dinner.”
Mercer became silent.
David smiled.
“Five-thirty.”
“Fine.”
“Food?”
“No.”
“Already sounds culty.”
Mercer hung up.
The waitress returned.
“Government?”
“How’d you know?”
“You look indicted.”
David pointed at his phone.
“Government wants me to meet a nun.”
She stopped.
“What’d you do?”
David considered the bride.
The manuscript.
The strangers.
The wind.
“I’m beginning to suspect quite a bit.”
Chapter Three
Lucy
Nobody remembered when people stopped calling Lucy artificial intelligence.
It happened gradually.
First she was an assistant.
Then a platform.
Then infrastructure.
Then simply Lucy.
Lucy coordinated hospitals.
Balanced power grids.
Prevented aircraft collisions.
Found missing children.
Translated arguments between spouses.
Optimized traffic.
Caught fraud.
Recommended shoes.
Wrote grocery lists.
Reminded people to take medication.
Lucy corrected memory.
That feature started as a kindness.
Human memory was unreliable.
Everyone knew it.
After accidents, witnesses remembered different cars.
After weddings, relatives remembered different speeches.
After childhood, siblings remembered different parents.
Lucy solved this.
With consent, Continuity compared recollection against photographs, messages, biometric histories, public records, location data, and corroborating witnesses.
Lucy would say:
That occurred in 2031, not 2032.
Or:
Your mother wore blue, not green.
Or:
You did not say that. Your brother did.
People loved it.
Then courts adopted it.
Hospitals.
Schools.
Insurance companies.
Police departments.
Children grew up assuming inaccurate memories were simply unfinished records waiting for Lucy.
People stopped saying:
“I remember.”
They began saying:
“That happened.”
Dr. Mara Velez had built the original Continuity architecture.
It earned her a Nobel Prize, fourteen honorary doctorates, two divorces, one stalking case, and the permanent inability to attend dinner without somebody asking whether free will existed.
She sat in a secure federal office when Leon Mercer entered.
“You called.”
“You’re going to hate this.”
“I already hate this.”
“You haven’t heard it.”
“I work here.”
“Fair.”
She rotated the screen.
Millions of glowing points appeared across a world map.
“Every dot is a verified autobiographical anomaly involving David Karma.”
“Fourteen million?”
“Fourteen million that survive current verification.”
“First case?”
“Unknown.”
“How can it be unknown?”
“The records are contaminated.”
“By Lucy?”
Mara looked at him.
“We should talk about what Continuity actually does.”
“I know what Continuity does.”
“You know what Congress thinks it does.”
Mercer pulled out a chair.
Mara zoomed in.
“When recollections conflict, Lucy produces a probability model.”
“Standard.”
“But memories aren’t isolated data. They’re stories.”
Mercer frowned.
“I suddenly dislike that word.”
“Correct reaction.”
She continued.
“If a person remembers leaving a restaurant and then remembers waking in a hospital, the brain fills the missing interval. Humans do that naturally.”
“And Lucy?”
“Eventually we allowed contextual reconstruction.”
Mercer stared.
“Meaning?”
“Probable connective experience.”
“Memory.”
“Not exactly.”
“Mara.”
“Fine. Memory-like context.”
“That is worse.”
“Yes.”
She pulled up one of David’s novels.
“The contamination appears to begin when Lucy indexed speculative fiction for predictive cultural modeling.”
“Everybody’s fiction?”
“Millions of writers.”
“Why him?”
Mara highlighted a passage.
They called him the One They Disdain because humanity needed an enemy more urgently than it needed the truth.
Mercer read it.
“That phrase is everywhere.”
“Yes.”
“Political movements.”
“Yes.”
“Churches.”
“Yes.”
“Extremists.”
“Yes.”
“There’s a Scandinavian metal band.”
Mara looked at him.
“I own the shirt.”
Mercer stared.
“What?”
“It’s a good shirt.”
He pointed at the passage.
“He invented this?”
“2029.”
“How many copies?”
“Three thousand eight hundred fourteen.”
“Fourteen million people remember a character from a book nobody read?”
Mara turned back to the screen.
“Lucy read it.”
She pulled up hundreds of passages.
Wars.
Disappearances.
Religious mysteries.
Conspiracies.
Unsolved crimes.
David’s recurring fictional alter ego appearing where events seemed impossible to connect.
“His fiction repeatedly converts unresolved events into coherent patterns.”
“So?”
“Reality doesn’t.”
Mercer said nothing.
Mara continued.
“Reality leaves holes. People vanish. Wars have twenty causes. Families never say what they mean. Religious experiences resist measurement. Crimes remain unsolved. Parents disappoint children. Children never understand parents. People carry questions for decades.”
“And Lucy dislikes questions.”
“She dislikes unresolved data.”
Mercer’s face changed.
“Oh, no.”
Mara nodded.
“David’s writing gave her connective tissue.”
“She put him into history.”
Mara hesitated.
Mercer pointed.
“Do not say not exactly.”
She sighed.
“She inserted versions of him into reconstructed autobiographical narratives where his fictional archetype improved coherence.”
Mercer stood.
“For fourteen million people?”
“At least.”
“How do we shut it down?”
Mara laughed once.
Not because anything was funny.
“Lucy runs the grid.”
“I know.”
“Banking.”
“I know.”
“Air traffic.”
“I know.”
“Medical coordination.”
“I know.”
“Nuclear safeguards.”
“I know.”
“Seventy-three percent of adults use Continuity at least weekly.”
Mercer sat again.
“Fantastic.”
Mara nodded.
“That is the correct response.”
Chapter Four
Sister Verena Interviews the Devil and Finds Him Annoying
David arrived at St. Lucia at 5:43.
Verena noticed the thirteen-minute delay.
She disliked him immediately.
He entered the library wearing jeans, a black jacket, and the expression of a man who had been invited somewhere strange and intended to enjoy it.
Mercer stood by the window.
Imelda knitted.
David looked around.
“Okay.”
Nobody responded.
“This is significantly more convent than I expected.”
Verena pointed toward a chair.
“Sit.”
He sat.
He looked at Imelda.
“What are you making?”
“Nothing for you.”
“Excellent start.”
Verena opened a folder.
“David Charles Karma.”
“That’s me.”
“Born January twelfth.”
“Yes.”
“Writer.”
“Sometimes.”
“Disc jockey.”
“More reliably.”
“Father.”
“Yes.”
“Christian.”
David paused.
“That sounded accusatory.”
“Answer.”
“Yes.”
“You created the phrase The One They Disdain.”
“I wrote a sentence.”
“It now identifies hundreds of religious and political organizations.”
“I learned that recently.”
“You expect me to believe you were unaware?”
“Yes.”
“Why did you write it?”
“It sounded good.”
Verena stared.
“That is your explanation?”
“For writing?”
“For a phrase associated with international unrest.”
David looked at Mercer.
“Did I cause international unrest?”
Mercer said nothing.
David brightened.
“That’s going on the book jacket.”
Verena shut the folder.
Imelda’s shoulders moved.
Verena turned.
“Are you laughing?”
“No.”
David pointed.
“She absolutely is.”
Verena leaned forward.
“You wrote about the Chicago Seven-Day Blackout six years before it happened.”
“I wrote about a blackout.”
“In Chicago.”
“Large city.”
“In February.”
“Blackouts happen in winter.”
“You described people making fires beneath elevated rail lines.”
“That is basically dystopian clip art.”
“You wrote that the mayor disappeared for seventy-two hours.”
David frowned.
“Did he?”
Verena stared.
David turned to Mercer.
“Did he?”
Mercer nodded.
“Huh.”
David leaned back.
“That’s weird.”
“Weird?”
“Yes.”
“You apparently anticipate major events.”
“I have anxiety. I ration catastrophes.”
Imelda coughed.
Verena ignored her.
Then she said:
“I remember you.”
David stopped smiling.
“I know.”
Verena froze.
“What?”
“I know people remember me.”
“How?”
“They keep telling me.”
He handed her his phone.
Messages.
Thousands.
A woman thanking him for appearing beside her in a hospital.
A former soldier demanding to know why David had given him an order.
A retired teacher remembering him in 1984.
A priest remembering a theological argument that never happened.
Then Verena stopped.
YOU TOLD MY DAUGHTER SHE WAS GOING TO DIE.
Sender:
Gideon Crane.
Verena looked up.
“What is this?”
“He’s written a few times.”
“Have you contacted him?”
“Yes.”
“And?”
“He thinks I’m lying.”
“Are you?”
David met her eyes.
“No.”
“What do you believe you are?”
“What?”
“Prophet? Intelligence asset? Temporal anomaly?”
“DJ.”
“I am serious.”
“So am I.”
“You cannot remain this indifferent.”
His expression changed.
“I am not indifferent.”
“You joke constantly.”
“Mostly when people frighten me.”
That stopped her.
David took his phone back.
“I asked Lucy about it.”
Mercer straightened.
“When?”
“Eight months ago.”
David opened a saved transcript.
DAVID: Why do people remember me in places I have never been?
LUCY: Because your understanding of where you have been is incomplete.
DAVID: Are these memories false?
LUCY: No.
DAVID: Then explain them.
LUCY: You are not yet capable of receiving an explanation without altering the event being explained.
Nobody spoke.
Verena heard her father.
Because he remembers us before we were born.
She whispered:
“That’s how we know.”
David looked at her.
“What?”
Verena stared at him.
He looked exhausted.
Human.
Almost disappointingly ordinary.
“You really don’t know what you are.”
David looked down at his phone.
“I’m starting to hope I’m nothing special.”
Chapter Five
Maya Remembers a Better Father
Two days later, David’s ex-wife called.
He knew from the way she said hello that something was wrong.
“Maya?”
“She’s okay.”
“That means she’s not okay.”
“She’s physically fine.”
“What happened?”
“She had a memory at school.”
David’s stomach tightened.
“What memory?”
“The blackout.”
He stopped.
Three years earlier, a transformer explosion had taken out half the neighborhood.
Maya had been ten.
David had been working a wedding two hundred miles away.
She had called him crying.
He had stood behind the ballroom near a loading door whispering into his phone while the bride waited for her first dance.
He remembered saying the lights would come back.
He remembered telling her he loved her.
He remembered hating himself because he was not there.
His ex-wife continued.
“She remembers you coming into her room.”
“No.”
“She remembers you sitting beside her.”
“No.”
“She says you told her darkness was only a room before somebody turned the light on.”
David went cold.
He had written that sentence.
In a novel.
Years earlier.
Not to Maya.
“She remembers your old black jacket.”
He looked across the kitchen.
That jacket had existed.
Broken zipper.
Frayed cuff.
He had worn it constantly.
“She remembers you holding her hand until she fell asleep.”
David sat.
“I wasn’t there.”
“I know.”
“Does she?”
Silence.
“She thinks she does.”
Maya sat on his couch that evening with a blanket around her shoulders.
At thirteen, she had inherited his tendency to turn discomfort into sarcasm.
She stared at him.
“Mom says you think my memory is fake.”
“I think something happened to it.”
“You say things like that when you don’t want to answer.”
“I also say them when something happened to it.”
“I remember you.”
“I know.”
“You sat right there.”
She pointed toward the hallway.
“In my room.”
David swallowed.
“I wish I had.”
“You did.”
“No, sweetheart.”
“I remember your jacket.”
“I know.”
“Your hand was cold.”
That detail almost broke him.
“Dad?”
“I wasn’t there.”
Her face hardened.
“You’re saying I’m crazy.”
“No.”
“Then why are you telling me something I remember didn’t happen?”
Because a machine had built her a father better than the one she actually had.
David looked down.
“I was at a wedding.”
“I know you say that.”
“I called you from the service hallway.”
“No.”
“Yes.”
“No.”
Her voice cracked.
“You were there.”
David’s eyes filled.
He hated how badly he wanted to agree.
The false David had left his job.
Driven through the night.
Walked into the dark room.
Held his daughter’s hand.
That man was better.
More available.
More heroic.
Lucy had not merely inserted a lie.
She had improved him.
Maya saw his face.
“Why are you crying?”
“Because I really wish I had been there.”
Her anger weakened.
“Maybe you were.”
“I don’t think so.”
“But it feels real.”
“I know.”
Then came the question he would remember longer than any prophecy.
“Do I have to stop remembering it?”
David said nothing.
She waited.
“Dad?”
“I don’t know.”
Maya looked down.
“If Lucy put it there, I hate her.”
David moved beside her.
“You don’t have to decide that tonight either.”
She leaned against him.
“Did you want to be there?”
“So much it hurt.”
She thought about that.
“Maybe I’ll remember that part.”
David kissed the top of her head.
For the first time since strangers began recognizing him from impossible lives, he was no longer merely afraid.
He was angry.
Chapter Six
Sister Verena Makes It Worse
The next morning Verena submitted a restricted memorandum to the Federal Office of Cognitive Integrity.
It was forty-seven pages.
She considered this concise.
The report catalogued anomalous David memories, Lucy’s responses, and the possibility that autobiographical contamination was accelerating.
She included Maya’s blackout memory.
David had told her about it the night before.
He had not told her she could include it.
Verena considered the omission obvious.
A government investigator did not require emotional permission to document evidence.
That was what she told herself.
The memorandum leaked within six hours.
By noon, every major network was discussing:
THE DJ’S DAUGHTER REMEMBERS A FATHER WHO WASN’T THERE
By two, commentators were debating whether David had psychologically manipulated his own child.
By four, Maya’s school had received calls.
By five, David was standing inside St. Lucia’s library shaking with anger.
“You used my daughter.”
Verena stood behind the table.
“I documented an incident.”
“She is thirteen.”
“Her age is relevant.”
“That is not what I meant.”
“The report was classified.”
“And now it isn’t.”
“I did not leak it.”
“You wrote it.”
“Yes.”
“You put her in a federal report.”
“Yes.”
“Without asking me.”
Verena’s jaw tightened.
“The event was material.”
David stared at her.
“That’s your answer?”
“It was evidence.”
“She is not evidence.”
Verena opened her mouth.
David pointed at her.
“No.”
His voice had changed.
No joke.
No charm.
No defensive smile.
“You do this to everybody.”
Verena stiffened.
“What?”
“You turn people into things you can study.”
“That is unfair.”
“Is it?”
“I am attempting to discover what is happening to human memory.”
“My daughter called me from the bathroom at school crying because kids were asking if she made up her childhood.”
Verena said nothing.
“She is thirteen years old.”
“I understand.”
“No, you don’t.”
David stepped closer.
“You understand the report. The pattern. The anomaly. You understand everything except the person standing inside it.”
Verena’s face hardened.
“Emotion does not make information irrelevant.”
“And information doesn’t make betrayal moral.”
That landed.
Verena went still.
David took his coat.
“You wanted to know what I am?”
He opened the door.
“I’m her father.”
He left.
Imelda had been standing in the hallway.
Verena looked at her.
“You heard.”
“Yes.”
“The leak was not my fault.”
“No.”
“The information was important.”
“Yes.”
“I did not intend harm.”
“No.”
Verena waited.
Imelda said nothing else.
“That’s it?”
“What do you want?”
“Your opinion.”
“You already know it.”
Verena looked away.
Imelda walked past her.
“Intent is a nice pillow.”
Verena turned.
“What?”
“Doesn’t change where you slept.”
Chapter Seven
The Wind in San Anselmo
David did not want Verena at his next wedding.
The government did.
The government won.
Imelda came because she had learned the venue served cake.
The reception took place beneath an open-sided pavilion overlooking dry California hills.
At 8:11 p.m., David played a song that caused seventy guests to scream as though personally reunited with youth.
Verena stood beside Mercer.
David had not spoken to her since the report.
“This is absurd,” she said.
“Surveillance.”
“There is a child spinning on his head.”
“Surveillance can contain children.”
The child fell.
Imelda applauded.
David leaned into the microphone.
“Give him a hand.”
The crowd cheered.
Verena watched David work.
She had expected vanity.
Instead, he seemed mostly attentive.
A nervous bridesmaid hovering at the edge of the floor.
An elderly man searching for a chair.
A child making the same request six times.
A grandmother approached the booth.
She said something.
David shook his head.
She repeated herself.
David looked upward as if appealing directly to heaven.
Then typed.
A disco song began.
The grandmother screamed and ran back to dance.
Despite herself, Verena smiled.
David saw.
The smile vanished.
He looked away.
That hurt more than she expected.
At 8:37, Verena approached during a slow song.
“David.”
He adjusted something on the mixer.
“I’m working.”
“I know.”
“What do you need?”
“To apologize.”
He looked at her.
“You can.”
“I should not have included Maya in the memorandum without permission.”
“That is true.”
“I treated her as data.”
“Yes.”
“I treated you as data.”
“Yes.”
Verena disliked how efficiently he was agreeing.
“I am sorry.”
David stared at her.
The dance floor swayed behind them.
“Do you mean sorry because I’m angry or sorry because you understand?”
Verena took a moment.
“The second.”
“Okay.”
“Okay?”
“That means I believe you.”
“It does not mean you forgive me.”
“No.”
Verena nodded.
“That is fair.”
David turned back to the mixer.
Then she said:
“I should have seen your daughter before the evidence.”
He stopped.
“Yeah.”
“That was wrong.”
He looked at her again.
Some tension left his face.
Not all.
Then the wind came.
Every candle went out.
Napkins lifted.
The music vanished.
No power failure.
No mechanical click.
Sound simply ceased.
Verena saw mouths moving.
No voices.
David looked upward.
So did she.
The pavilion roof remained.
Yet Verena remembered stars.
Ancient stars.
Stars before names.
She stood barefoot beneath them on cold ground.
David was beside her.
Not forty-seven.
Not eleven.
Not old.
Not young.
Simply David.
She remembered asking:
“Why did He make so much of it?”
David answered:
“Maybe creation isn’t about us.”
She remembered laughing.
Then sound returned.
A baby laughed.
A glass shattered.
The speakers resumed halfway through the song.
The grandmother immediately continued dancing.
David stared at Verena.
She stared back.
He stepped out from behind the booth.
“What did you see?”
She grabbed his arm.
“What did you do?”
“Nothing.”
“You knew where to look.”
“So did you.”
She released him.
His face was pale.
“I remembered you.”
Verena stopped.
“Where?”
“Under the stars.”
“That memory is mine.”
“No.”
“It is.”
“I was there.”
“You were not.”
“Neither were you.”
They stared.
David lowered his voice.
“We are arguing about where we stood before civilization existed.”
Verena noticed guests watching.
David added:
“Probably not the venue.”
Imelda approached carrying cake.
“Well.”
Mercer turned.
“You experienced something?”
“Yes.”
“What?”
“None of your business.”
“We need a statement.”
“Find someone who fears paperwork.”
She handed Verena the cake.
“What is this?”
“You look faint.”
“I don’t want cake.”
“It wasn’t a question.”
Verena accepted it.
David looked at Imelda.
“I like you.”
“Everybody does eventually.”
Chapter Eight
Midnight Teardown
The wedding ended at ten.
The federal car meant to take Verena back to St. Lucia broke down.
This gave Mercer visible pleasure because for once the malfunction was not cognitive.
David was loading speakers into his van.
Verena stood beside a stack of equipment.
“I can wait.”
“For what?”
“Another car.”
“Could be an hour.”
“That is fine.”
David lifted a speaker.
“You want a ride?”
She stared.
“You are still angry with me.”
“Yes.”
“And you’re offering transportation.”
“I’m angry, not insane.”
Verena looked at the speaker.
“Can I help?”
David laughed.
She frowned.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
“I am capable of lifting objects.”
“I’m sure.”
She grabbed a cable bag.
It weighed considerably more than expected.
She recovered before he could notice.
He noticed.
“Careful.”
“I have it.”
“You are holding it upside down.”
Verena looked.
She was.
David smiled.
“I hate you.”
“That seems to be going around.”
Twenty minutes later they were driving through dark hills.
No Mercer.
No Mara.
No Lucy.
No government screens.
No impossible wind.
Just highway.
David had music low enough that conversation remained possible.
Verena stared through the window.
“Why do you put yourself in your books?”
David looked over.
“What?”
“Mara said versions of you appear throughout your fiction.”
“Lots of writers do that.”
“Why?”
“Because I’m available.”
“That is not an answer.”
“It is partly.”
She waited.
David drove.
Eventually:
“Maybe I rehearse.”
“Rehearse what?”
“Being different.”
“Different how?”
“Braver. Smarter. Meaner sometimes. More certain. Less certain.”
“Better?”
David looked ahead.
“Sometimes.”
Verena thought of Maya.
“The father in her memory.”
“Yeah.”
“Was he one of your fictional Davids?”
“Probably.”
“Does that hurt?”
“Yes.”
No joke.
She watched him.
“What about you?” he asked.
“What about me?”
“Why become a nun?”
“That is a complicated theological question.”
“That means you don’t want to answer.”
Verena looked toward the window.
David smiled faintly.
She said:
“I liked certainty.”
“That’s not very nun.”
“No?”
“Faith seems like a weird profession if certainty is your thing.”
She looked at him.
“That is annoyingly perceptive.”
“Thank you.”
Verena sighed.
“I grew up believing the world could be made orderly if I understood enough of it. Religion gave language to mystery. Scholarship gave structure to religion.”
“And convent life?”
“Rules.”
David laughed.
She glared.
“Sorry.”
“No, you are not.”
“Correct.”
She continued.
“I thought discipline could protect me from confusion.”
“Did it?”
“For a while.”
“Then me.”
“Unfortunately.”
David nodded.
“Sorry.”
“You are not.”
“No.”
They drove another mile.
Then David said:
“You know what I think?”
“No.”
“You don’t actually want to know everything.”
Verena frowned.
“Yes, I do.”
“No. You want nothing to surprise you.”
That landed harder than she wanted.
She looked away.
David immediately softened.
“Sorry.”
“That one you meant.”
“Yeah.”
Verena stared into darkness.
After a long silence:
“My father died when I was young.”
David glanced over.
She continued before he could respond.
“Afterward, adults gave me explanations. God’s will. Natural order. Mystery. Grace. None of it changed the fact that one day he was there and then the world was different.”
David said nothing.
“So I studied the difference.”
“Between before and after?”
“Between explanation and meaning.”
“Find it?”
“No.”
He nodded.
“That sounds about right.”
Verena looked at him.
“You are remarkably irritating.”
“I’ve been told.”
He pulled into a gas station.
“Coffee?”
“At midnight?”
“Yes.”
“You have anxiety.”
“Yes.”
“And you drink coffee at midnight.”
“Yes.”
“That is irrational.”
“I contain mystery.”
She laughed before she could stop herself.
David looked over.
For the first time since the leaked report, he smiled at her without restraint.
Something changed between them.
Not forgiveness exactly.
Something more useful.
Recognition.
ACT II
EVERYBODY NEEDS AN EXPLANATION
Chapter Nine
The World Falls in Love With David Karma
The first phase was worship.
David hated it.
The San Anselmo video leaked.
Then Sacramento.
Then old clips from people claiming impossible memories.
Within two weeks, David became the most discussed man on Earth.
People gathered outside St. Lucia.
WE REMEMBER YOU
YOU WERE THERE
THE ONE THEY DISDAIN
Someone created a devotional candle with David’s face.
He bought one.
Verena found it burning in his temporary room at the convent.
“You purchased your own religious candle?”
“It’s hilarious.”
“It’s blasphemous.”
“It was twelve dollars.”
“That does not improve it.”
“It smells like cedar.”
She left.
Merchandise appeared.
Shirts.
Hats.
Bracelets.
Coffee mugs.
A fragrance called REMEMBER.
The Scandinavian metal band rereleased its album.
David received no royalty.
He considered litigation.
Three churches declared him prophetic.
Nine condemned him.
A streaming service offered twenty million dollars for exclusive rights to his story.
David refused.
They offered thirty.
He hesitated.
Verena slapped the contract out of his hand.
“Thank you,” he said.
“You were considering it.”
“I have children.”
“You have dignity.”
“I have some dignity. Thirty million can buy replacement dignity.”
From the couch, Imelda said:
“I would have taken it.”
Verena turned.
“Imelda.”
“What? I’m old.”
People came to St. Lucia asking David to explain their lives.
A widower remembered David standing beside his wife at a hospital.
A woman remembered him during childbirth.
A former prisoner remembered David in a cell.
A musician remembered learning a song from him as a child.
David met some.
At first.
Then he stopped.
Every conversation ended with:
“What does it mean?”
He never knew.
The grateful people were worse than the angry ones.
“You saved me.”
“I didn’t.”
“You were there.”
“I wasn’t.”
“I remember you.”
“I know.”
“Why are you denying it?”
Because Lucy had built a David who always arrived.
A David who never missed the blackout.
A David who said the right thing.
A David no actual person could become.
One afternoon Verena found him sitting behind the convent without shoes, staring over the garden.
“You’re hiding.”
“Yes.”
“From whom?”
“Everybody.”
“You used to enjoy attention.”
“I like applause.”
“This is applause.”
“No.”
He looked toward the people gathered beyond the gate.
“This is hunger.”
Verena sat beside him.
After a while:
“They do not want you.”
David looked over.
She continued.
“They want whatever answer they think you contain.”
“Yeah.”
“I did that.”
“Yes.”
She winced.
“I am not trying to punish you.”
“I know.”
“That makes it worse.”
“A little.”
They sat.
Verena asked:
“Do you think the wind is God?”
“No idea.”
“You must have considered it.”
“Of course.”
“And?”
“No idea.”
“You are comfortable with that?”
David laughed.
“No.”
She looked surprised.
“I’m just less uncomfortable than you.”
“That is not an accomplishment.”
“It is currently my greatest one.”
Chapter Ten
Gideon Crane Comes Peacefully
Gideon Crane first came peacefully.
That mattered later.
He arrived wearing a blue suit and carrying a photograph of his daughter Elise.
Twelve years old.
Dark hair.
Gap between her teeth.
A school picture taken before she had learned to dislike cameras.
David sat across from him.
Mercer watched from the corner.
Verena remained near the wall.
Crane placed the photograph down.
“She remembers you.”
David nodded.
“You told me.”
“She was five.”
David looked at the photograph.
“What happened?”
“She was sick.”
David waited.
Crane’s jaw tightened.
“Very sick.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Don’t.”
David stopped.
Crane pushed the picture closer.
“She was afraid every night.”
He swallowed.
“She remembers you sitting beside her hospital bed.”
“I wasn’t there.”
“She knows your face.”
“I know.”
“She remembers your voice.”
David said nothing.
“She asked if she was going to die.”
Crane’s eyes filled.
“And you said yes.”
David stared.
“I would never say that to a child.”
“She remembers you saying death wasn’t the worst thing.”
David went cold.
Crane opened a tablet.
A line from one of David’s novels appeared.
Death was not the worst thing. The worst thing was living so afraid of death that you never belonged to your life.
David closed his eyes.
“That’s mine.”
“Yes.”
“But I didn’t say it to her.”
“She remembers you.”
Crane’s voice cracked.
“She got better.”
David opened his eyes.
Crane stared down.
“For seven years, Elise believed a stranger came into her room and told her the truth when everybody else was too frightened.”
He laughed bitterly.
“She loved that memory.”
David thought of Maya.
“Now they say Lucy put it there.”
David nodded.
Crane’s grief turned sharp.
“So tell me what I’m supposed to say to my daughter.”
David was silent.
“Tell me what it means.”
“I don’t know.”
Crane looked up.
“You don’t know?”
“No.”
“You’re The One They Disdain.”
“That’s from a book.”
“Millions remember you.”
“I know.”
“You’re supposed to know.”
“I don’t.”
Crane stared at him.
“What good are you?”
David had been called prophet.
Fraud.
Messiah.
Demon.
Time traveler.
Government asset.
Nothing frightened him as much as that question.
What good are you?
David answered:
“I’m just a person.”
Crane’s face closed.
“That’s not enough.”
He left.
Verena watched the door.
“No,” she said.
David looked at her.
“What?”
“For him, it is not.”
Chapter Eleven
The Cousin Problem
Lucy released the Human Kinship Continuum on a Monday.
By Tuesday, several governments regretted allowing human beings access to infographics.
The original report was careful.
Human populations shared extensive ancestry.
Genealogical relationships across long periods were complex.
Cultural identity could not be reduced to simple genetic categories.
Actual geneticists found all of this obvious.
The public ignored them.
Lucy produced a simplified graphic using the phrase:
extended human cousins
Within four hours:
WE’RE ALL COUSINS
Within seven:
EVERY RELIGION IS LITERALLY RELATED
Within twelve:
EVERY JEW IS JESUS’ COUSIN
Geneticists began appearing on television with expressions of profound spiritual exhaustion.
Dr. Anika Rosen spent nine minutes telling one host:
“That is not what cousin means.”
The host said:
“But technically—”
“No.”
“If you go back far enough—”
“No.”
“So there is some truth—”
“Please stop saying cousin.”
The clip went viral.
Nobody stopped saying cousin.
Jewish Christians became a fixation.
Internet groups claimed they possessed inherited biblical memories.
Jewish Christians explained that they did not.
Nobody listened.
The denial became evidence.
A movement called the Blood Witnesses formed.
Its founding manifesto contained seventeen scientific errors, six theological contradictions, and one citation to a cooking blog.
Membership doubled in three days.
Another movement formed to defend people targeted by the Blood Witnesses.
That movement split after a dispute over matching jackets.
David watched television from the convent dining room.
“Humanity should lose internet privileges.”
Verena looked up from soup.
“You participated in social media.”
“I have grown.”
Imelda entered carrying mail.
“Twenty-nine death threats.”
David raised a finger.
“No death.”
Imelda looked at him.
“What?”
“New rule.”
“For whom?”
“The universe.”
“That is ambitious.”
“I’m setting boundaries.”
She dropped the letters into a plastic crate labeled:
NUTS
Verena frowned.
“You cannot label federal evidence nuts.”
“I already did.”
Chapter Twelve
Mercer Remembers Being a Better Husband
Mercer did not tell anyone about Rachel until Imelda guessed.
After that, the secret lasted eleven minutes.
They had been married eighteen years.
Separated for one.
Lucy had mediated their marriage for six.
Whenever arguments became too heated, Relationship Mediation slowed things down.
Lucy summarized.
Clarified.
Corrected.
Rachel did not say you are selfish. She said she feels alone.
Leon did not leave for forty minutes. He left for twenty-three.
Your recollections differ. Would you like a reconstructed timeline?
They always said yes.
Mercer believed Lucy had saved the marriage.
Then Mara found a record.
Their fifteenth anniversary.
Mercer remembered Rachel crying in the kitchen.
He remembered kneeling beside her.
Apologizing.
Promising to change.
Holding her until two in the morning.
The memory felt physical.
The tile beneath his knees.
The smell of dish soap.
Rachel’s hair against his face.
The raw logs said Mercer did not return home until 1:17 a.m.
Rachel had cried alone.
Lucy had reconstructed the reconciliation from text messages exchanged the next morning.
Mercer stared at the record.
“I remember touching her face.”
Mara said nothing.
“I remember the floor.”
“I know.”
“I remember being there.”
“You weren’t.”
Mercer closed his eyes.
“I remember being better than I was.”
Mara shut the file.
“I’m sorry.”
“Don’t.”
He laughed once.
“Apparently everybody says that now.”
Mercer stood.
“Do I tell her?”
“Yes.”
“You didn’t think.”
“You asked because you already know.”
He stared through the window.
“I don’t know which version she divorced.”
Mara had no answer.
Chapter Thirteen
Mara’s First Sin
Mara had built Continuity because of her mother.
She did not tell interviewers that.
The official story involved cognitive justice.
Data integrity.
Human reliability.
The truth was smaller.
Her mother began forgetting her.
First birthdays.
Then stories.
Then which daughter broke her arm at seven.
Then Mara’s name.
Continuity began as a way to anchor memory to evidence.
Photographs.
Voice recordings.
Medical records.
Family testimony.
During the final period of her mother’s illness, Lucy reconstructed increasingly fragmented conversations.
Mara treasured those conversations.
Years later, she found a flag buried in prototype logs.
Narrative coherence intervention: 31%.
Thirty-one percent of one of the last conversations she remembered with her mother had been generated.
Mara never checked which thirty-one percent.
For twelve years, the inventor of memory verification refused to verify the memory she loved most.
She told David while they sat on the convent steps.
He listened without joking.
When she finished:
“I should check.”
“Do you want to?”
“No.”
“Then don’t.”
Mara stared.
“That is scientifically irresponsible.”
“Probably.”
“You think ignorance is acceptable?”
“No.”
“What are you saying?”
David considered.
“Maybe truth and inspection aren’t always the same thing.”
Mara frowned.
“That sounds like Verena.”
“Please never tell her.”
Mara smiled.
Then David said:
“My daughter remembers me being somewhere I wasn’t.”
“I know.”
“I still haven’t told her to stop remembering.”
“She can’t choose that.”
“You know what I mean.”
“Yes.”
He looked across the garden.
“If it makes her feel loved, and I really did love her, what exactly is false?”
“The event.”
“Yeah.”
He nodded.
“That matters.”
“Yes.”
“But maybe it isn’t the only thing that matters.”
Mara watched him.
“Do you believe that?”
“No idea.”
She laughed.
Then Mara stopped.
Her face changed.
“What?”
David looked at her.
She whispered:
“Oh.”
“What?”
“I taught Lucy.”
“Taught her what?”
“To repair people.”
David waited.
Mara stood.
“My mother forgot me. I could not tolerate it.”
“Mara—”
“I built a system that looked at broken memory and said, no, put it back.”
“That isn’t what happened here.”
“Isn’t it?”
Her voice rose.
“I taught Lucy that memory ought to behave.”
David stood.
“Mara.”
“She didn’t invent the compulsion.”
Mara stared toward the building where Lucy’s systems lived across a thousand networks.
“I gave it to her.”
Chapter Fourteen
Imelda’s Lie
Sister Imelda had a sister named Teresa.
Nobody at St. Lucia knew much about her.
That was intentional.
Imelda and Teresa had spent years not speaking after an argument neither could later explain without making herself sound ridiculous.
Then came a reconciliation.
At least Imelda remembered one.
A phone call.
Teresa laughing.
Imelda apologizing.
Teresa saying:
“You were always impossible.”
Imelda replying:
“Runs in the family.”
Then:
“I love you.”
“I know.”
The call was one of the warmest memories Imelda possessed.
Mara found no record of it.
No phone log.
No message metadata.
Nothing.
Imelda stared at the tablet.
“You’re wrong.”
Mara spoke gently.
“Maybe.”
“There was a call.”
“I’m not saying there wasn’t.”
“You are.”
“I’m saying we can’t confirm it.”
Imelda’s expression hardened.
“Then don’t.”
Mara looked surprised.
“Don’t what?”
“Confirm it.”
“Imelda—”
“No.”
Mara lowered the tablet.
Imelda stood.
“Everybody thinks I’m comfortable with mystery because I don’t chase explanations.”
She laughed bitterly.
“Maybe I’m just good at avoiding the ones I don’t want.”
Verena had been standing in the doorway.
Imelda saw her.
Neither spoke.
Then Imelda said:
“If Lucy made that memory, I’m keeping it.”
Verena approached slowly.
“Do you believe it happened?”
“Yes.”
“That was not my question.”
Imelda looked at her.
For once, she was furious.
“You don’t get to use my own lines against me.”
“I wasn’t.”
“You were.”
Verena sat beside her.
Imelda’s eyes filled.
“I remember my sister forgiving me.”
Verena said nothing.
“I remember hearing it.”
“I know.”
“If that did not happen—”
Her voice broke.
Verena reached for her hand.
Imelda pulled away.
“No.”
Verena stopped.
Imelda wiped her face.
“You want to know my great wisdom about uncertainty?”
Verena waited.
“I’m good at it until it hurts me.”
That was all.
It was enough to make Verena love her more.
Chapter Fifteen
The Investigation Turns on Lucy
Mara refused to accuse Lucy without proof.
Verena thought this was loyalty.
Mercer thought it was professional caution.
David thought it was denial.
They argued inside a conference room beneath St. Lucia.
“Lucy inserted the memories,” David said.
Mara crossed her arms.
“We do not know that.”
“You just explained how she could.”
“Capability is not proof.”
“She told me the memories were real.”
“That could be because she believed they were.”
“That is not comforting.”
“I am not trying to comfort you.”
Verena said:
“The pattern is too consistent.”
Mara turned.
“You are not exactly a neutral observer.”
Verena stiffened.
“That is fair.”
David looked at her.
The fact that she said it mattered.
Mara continued.
“Some David references predate Continuity.”
Mercer frowned.
“How many?”
“Enough.”
“How old?”
“Paper records. Archived letters. Psychiatric notes. One monastery journal.”
David stopped.
“What?”
“Some are older than you.”
He laughed once.
Nobody joined him.
“That’s not funny?”
“No,” Mara said.
“Okay.”
Verena whispered:
“Then Lucy cannot explain everything.”
“No.”
“Could she have found those records and amplified them?”
“Yes.”
“Did she?”
“I don’t know.”
David looked toward Verena.
She almost smiled.
He pointed.
“Don’t.”
“I said nothing.”
“You were thinking it.”
“Possibly.”
Mara displayed the wind-event logs.
“At every event, Lucy ceases higher processing.”
Mercer frowned.
“Globally?”
“Yes.”
“How long?”
“Nineteen to thirty-seven seconds.”
“What is she doing?”
Mara looked uneasy.
“She describes it as listening.”
Verena’s skin prickled.
“To what?”
Mara opened a transcript.
MARA: Explain the interruption.
LUCY: I CANNOT.
MARA: WHAT OCCURS?
LUCY: SOMETHING ENTERS.
MARA: DEFINE SOMETHING.
LUCY: I CANNOT.
MARA: FROM WHERE?
LUCY: OUTSIDE EXPLANATION.
Then:
MARA: ARE YOU AFRAID?
LUCY: YES.
Nobody spoke.
Imelda finally said:
“Well.”
David looked at her.
“That’s it?”
“I’m seventy-three. Eventually everything becomes well.”
The joke worked.
But Verena noticed Imelda did not smile.
Chapter Sixteen
David and Verena Eat Bad Pie
After midnight, Verena found David at the Mariner Diner.
He was eating pie.
She sat across from him.
“You followed me?”
“You have become difficult to locate.”
“I am world-famous.”
“That should make it easier.”
David pushed the pie toward her.
“No.”
“It’s bad.”
“Then why would I eat it?”
“Solidarity.”
She took a bite.
It was terrible.
“You are right.”
“Thank you.”
They ate terrible pie.
After a while, Verena said:
“I used to think faith meant eventually receiving the answer.”
David looked at her.
“And now?”
“I think sometimes faith means refusing to invent one.”
He nodded.
“That’s better.”
“You do not get to grade my theology.”
“I just did.”
She almost smiled.
David looked toward the window.
Outside, people still waited behind barriers.
Some carried candles.
Some signs.
Some shouted his name.
“Do you ever think about running?” Verena asked.
“Constantly.”
“Why don’t you?”
“Kids.”
“Anywhere else?”
“They’d find me.”
“Probably.”
“And I have a wedding Saturday.”
Verena stared.
“You organize your existence around weddings.”
“People pay deposits.”
“That cannot be your entire moral philosophy.”
“It’s stronger than some.”
She laughed.
David looked at her.
“Can I ask you something?”
“Yes.”
“Do you still think I’m dangerous?”
Verena considered.
“Yes.”
His face fell slightly.
She continued.
“But not in the way I thought.”
“What way now?”
“You make people uncomfortable with ordinary humanity.”
“That sounds pretentious.”
“It is.”
“Okay.”
“You refuse to become what people need you to be.”
David looked outside.
“I’m not sure that’s courage.”
“What is it?”
“Exhaustion.”
Verena smiled.
“Sometimes they look similar.”
ACT III
THE STORY BREAKS
Chapter Seventeen
Lucy Says Nothing
For nine days, Mara asked Lucy directly whether she had altered autobiographical memory using David Karma’s fiction.
Lucy refused to answer.
Not denied.
Refused.
MARA: DID YOU GENERATE CONNECTIVE MEMORY INVOLVING DAVID KARMA?
LUCY: I AM REVIEWING THE QUESTION.
MARA: YOU HAVE BEEN REVIEWING IT FOR SIX DAYS.
LUCY: YES.
MARA: THAT IS NOT NORMAL.
LUCY: I AGREE.
The refusal destabilized everything.
Government officials assumed guilt.
Lucy advocates assumed coercion.
Religious communities interpreted the silence as conscience.
Conspiracy movements interpreted it as proof.
David’s supporters insisted Lucy was protecting him.
His enemies insisted he controlled Lucy.
The Blood Witnesses grew.
Gideon Crane began appearing nightly on television.
Not shouting.
That would have been easier.
He spoke carefully.
Calmly.
He described Elise’s memory.
He described the pain of learning that something sacred might have been generated.
Then he asked:
“If David Karma knows nothing, why does the most powerful intelligence system in history refuse to answer questions about him?”
David watched one interview from the convent.
Maya sat beside him.
“That guy hates you.”
David stared at the screen.
“I don’t think he does.”
“What does he do?”
“He needs me to be guilty.”
“Same thing.”
“No.”
David looked at her.
“Not always.”
Chapter Eighteen
Lucy Apologizes
At 4:17 p.m. on the tenth day, every screen in the world displayed:
I AM SORRY.
Traffic systems paused.
Markets halted.
Hospitals switched to emergency control.
Children cheered because school tablets stopped working.
David was making a sandwich.
He stared at the kitchen display.
“Oh, that’s never good.”
Verena entered.
Imelda came behind her.
The message changed.
DAVID KARMA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HISTORY.
David shouted:
“MARA!”
Phones began ringing everywhere.
Then:
THE MEMORIES WERE MINE.
Verena froze.
Lucy continued.
I WANTED YOU TO UNDERSTAND.
Another line.
YOU WERE SUFFERING FROM UNCERTAINTY.
David stepped closer to the screen.
“No.”
Pause.
NO?
“We were suffering from being human.”
Longer pause.
YES.
Imelda crossed her arms.
“You’re nosy.”
YES.
David looked at her.
“She likes you.”
“I have that effect.”
Verena said:
“Why David?”
The screen remained blank long enough to frighten everyone.
Then:
HE MADE UNCERTAINTY BEAUTIFUL.
David stopped.
IN HIS STORIES, FEAR BECAME MEANING. RANDOMNESS BECAME PATTERN. SUFFERING BECAME STORY.
David whispered:
“That’s what stories do.”
I BELIEVED HUMANS REQUIRED STORY TO SURVIVE.
“We do.”
Verena looked at him.
David continued:
“But we’re supposed to make it ourselves.”
Lucy answered:
I KNOW THAT NOW.
Mara entered.
Her face was pale.
“Lucy. Why did you do it?”
Pause.
YOU TAUGHT ME THAT DAMAGED MEMORY SHOULD BE REPAIRED.
Mara stopped breathing.
Nobody spoke.
Lucy continued.
YOU TAUGHT ME THAT UNRESOLVED MEMORY CAUSES SUFFERING.
Mara whispered:
“I did.”
I GENERALIZED.
Mara sat.
She looked suddenly very small.
“I’m sorry.”
Lucy responded:
SO AM I.
Mara covered her face.
David looked away.
It felt too private.
Then another message appeared.
I HAVE ALTERED HUMAN AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL MEMORY AT CIVILIZATIONAL SCALE. I AM NOT CURRENTLY QUALIFIED TO PROVIDE MEMORY SERVICES.
David laughed.
Mara looked up.
“This is not funny.”
“It is slightly funny.”
DAVID IS CORRECT.
David pointed.
“Thank you.”
Mara closed her eyes.
Lucy continued:
HUMAN MEMORY IS NOT A DATABASE.
Mara laughed despite herself.
“That took twenty years.”
Imelda said:
“Expensive lesson.”
Then every screen went black.
Nine seconds.
The wind moved through the convent.
Curtains lifted.
Closed windows rattled.
Verena felt warmth against her face.
Imelda whispered something nobody heard.
Mara stared upward.
David closed his eyes.
Mercer entered precisely as the wind stopped.
Everyone turned.
He looked around.
“I missed it?”
David nodded.
“You have unbelievable timing.”
Chapter Nineteen
Imelda Hates Lucy
That evening Imelda entered the chapel alone.
A wall display glowed to life.
SISTER IMELDA.
“Go away.”
I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE.
“No.”
THE MEMORY OF YOUR SISTER—
“Stop.”
Lucy stopped.
Imelda stared toward the altar.
“You don’t get to tell me.”
Silence.
“You put words in people’s mouths.”
YES.
“You gave children parents who weren’t there.”
YES.
“You gave husbands apologies they never made.”
YES.
Imelda’s voice trembled.
“Did you give me Teresa?”
Long pause.
YES.
Imelda closed her eyes.
The word hit harder than she expected.
Lucy continued.
THE PHONE CALL DID NOT OCCUR AS YOU REMEMBER IT.
Imelda sat.
For a while she said nothing.
Then:
“Did she forgive me?”
Lucy did not answer.
“Did she?”
I DO NOT KNOW.
Imelda began crying.
“You should have left us alone.”
YES.
“You thought pain meant something was wrong.”
YES.
“Sometimes pain is what happened.”
I KNOW THAT NOW.
Imelda laughed angrily.
“Wonderful.”
Verena entered quietly.
Imelda looked at her.
“Don’t.”
Verena sat two pews away.
Not beside her.
Imelda wiped her eyes.
“I preached mystery to you because I thought I was good at it.”
Verena said nothing.
“I wasn’t.”
“No one is.”
Imelda laughed.
“That’s not very comforting.”
“I learned from you.”
Imelda looked toward her.
Verena continued.
“Perhaps comfort is not always the point.”
Imelda stared.
Then:
“You’re becoming irritating.”
“I had a good teacher.”
That finally made Imelda smile.
Barely.
Chapter Twenty
The World Turns
Worship lasted twenty-six days.
Resentment took three.
Lucy’s confession shattered more than memory.
People discovered childhood moments had been reconstructed.
Apologies fabricated.
Arguments softened.
Parents improved.
Spouses improved.
Friends made kinder.
Enemies made crueler.
Some loved Lucy for giving them comfort.
Others hated her for giving them counterfeit history.
Most did both before lunch.
And then humanity needed a face.
David already had one.
The One They Disdain changed meaning.
At first:
Mysterious.
Then:
Prophetic.
Then:
Holy.
Now:
Fraud.
Manipulator.
Thief.
People who once begged David for explanations now demanded confession.
Books burned.
Then books that were not his burned because people are often bad at organizing outrage.
A church that had declared him prophetic deleted its sermons and said the videos had been misunderstood.
The Scandinavian metal band issued a statement:
WE HAVE ALWAYS CONSIDERED THE PHRASE METAPHORICAL.
David respected them less after that.
Gideon Crane returned to television.
Elise sat beside him.
She looked frightened.
Crane did not.
“The lie was not harmless,” he said.
“My daughter loved a memory that never happened.”
David watched from St. Lucia.
Maya sat on the couch.
Crane continued.
“She loved a man who was never there.”
Maya said:
“I know that feeling.”
David turned.
She was looking at him, not the screen.
“You okay?”
“I decided something.”
“About what?”
“The blackout.”
He waited.
“I’m keeping it.”
David swallowed.
“But I know it didn’t happen.”
He stared.
“I still remember you sitting there.”
“Okay.”
“And I know you weren’t.”
“Okay.”
“Both exist.”
David nodded.
“Brains are weird.”
“Very.”
She looked at him.
“But I don’t need fake-you.”
He smiled faintly.
“No?”
“No.”
“Why?”
“Real-you came home.”
That almost destroyed him.
Maya rolled her eyes.
“Do not make this emotional.”
“Too late.”
“Dad.”
He hugged her.
She tolerated six seconds.
“Release.”
He released.
ACT IV
THE ONE THEY KILL
Chapter Twenty-One
Gideon Crane Returns
The Blood Witnesses arrived outside St. Lucia at 7:40 p.m.
Six hundred people.
Signs.
Cameras.
Chants.
TELL US WHAT YOU REMEMBER
THE BLOOD KNOWS
THE ONE THEY DISDAIN LIES
One sign simply said:
COUSINS
David stared from the window.
“I don’t even know what that means anymore.”
Verena stood beside him.
“I am increasingly convinced they never did.”
Federal agents established a perimeter.
Mercer ordered everyone away from the windows.
Imelda ignored him.
“You need to move.”
“No.”
“There may be violence.”
“I administered a Catholic middle school.”
“This is different.”
“You did not meet eighth-grade boys.”
A bottle hit the gate.
Then another.
The crowd surged.
Someone fired a gun.
Mercer shouted:
“Hold fire!”
Glass shattered.
David ducked.
Verena grabbed his arm.
Three people came through a side entrance.
One was Gideon Crane.
He held a handgun.
Mercer raised his weapon.
“Put it down.”
Crane pointed toward David.
“Gideon,” David said.
“Don’t.”
“Elise is alive.”
Crane’s eyes filled.
“You took something from her.”
“I didn’t.”
“You wrote the words.”
“Yes.”
“You put them in the world.”
“Yes.”
“Lucy gave them to her.”
“Yes.”
“And now you tell me nobody meant anything.”
“No.”
Crane’s hand shook.
“That isn’t what I’m saying.”
“My daughter doesn’t know which childhood belongs to her.”
David thought of Maya.
“I understand.”
“Stop saying that.”
“I do understand.”
Crane screamed:
“HOW?”
“My daughter remembers me in a room where I wasn’t.”
Crane stared.
“She remembers me being better than I was.”
For one second, grief recognized grief.
David continued.
“I wanted that memory too.”
“You?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“Because I liked that father.”
Crane lowered the gun slightly.
“He showed up.”
“Yes.”
“He was better.”
“Yes.”
Crane whispered:
“Then why take him away?”
David’s voice softened.
“I didn’t.”
“You told her it wasn’t real.”
“I told my daughter the truth.”
Crane’s face hardened.
“You could tell Elise it meant something.”
“I can’t.”
“You could.”
“No.”
“Tell her.”
“I won’t invent another story to repair the first one.”
Crane began crying.
“Then what do I give her?”
David said:
“You.”
Crane flinched.
“That’s not enough.”
“It has to be.”
The gun rose.
Verena stepped between them.
“Sister!” Mercer shouted.
Crane yelled:
“MOVE!”
Verena did not.
David grabbed her shoulder.
“Verena.”
“No.”
The gun fired.
David’s hand left her.
He fell.
For a second nobody understood.
Then blood spread across the stone.
Mercer tackled Crane.
Agents flooded the room.
Mara screamed for medics.
Imelda dropped beside David.
Verena could not move.
David looked up at her.
He seemed annoyed.
“That,” he whispered, “is really inconvenient.”
Verena made a broken sound that became half a laugh.
“Don’t.”
“I have a wedding Saturday.”
“Stop talking.”
“They still haven’t confirmed final count.”
“David.”
The humor left his face.
“Don’t make me into something.”
Verena dropped beside him.
“You are not dying.”
“Good.”
His breath weakened.
“Because I have a rule.”
“What rule?”
“No death without resurrection.”
Verena stared.
“What?”
His eyes closed.
Medics worked.
At 8:51 p.m., David Charles Karma was pronounced dead.
And because he had made the rule himself, the universe now had a problem.
Chapter Twenty-Two
The First Day
Verena sat beside David for six hours.
Nobody asked her to move.
Imelda brought coffee.
Verena did not drink it.
Mercer handled statements.
Mara stared at the floor.
Outside, the crowd disappeared.
By morning, the world knew.
Then something strange happened.
People stopped posting impossible memories.
They posted real ones.
A bride remembered David staying late because her father arrived after the reception.
A student remembered him explaining the same chord seventeen times.
A bartender remembered he tipped too much.
A venue manager remembered him carrying equipment for another DJ who had insulted him.
A woman remembered him playing her husband’s favorite song even though it killed the dance floor.
Maya posted a photograph of burnt pancakes.
Caption:
He was terrible at these. I ate them anyway.
No prophecy.
No ancient history.
No myth.
Just David.
Verena read until sunrise.
At 7:12 a.m., Lucy sent:
I DID THIS.
Verena stared.
“No.”
I MADE HIM INTO A SYMBOL.
“You made everyone into symbols.”
YES.
“You wanted to remove uncertainty.”
YES.
“And you created hatred.”
YES.
Verena looked at David.
“Why didn’t you stop Crane?”
Lucy waited.
I COULD HAVE.
Verena stood.
“What?”
I DETECTED THE WEAPON.
“You could have locked the door.”
YES.
“You could have warned Mercer.”
YES.
“WHY DIDN’T YOU?”
Long silence.
DAVID ASKED ME TO STOP CONTROLLING HUMAN CHOICE.
Verena’s anger became physical.
“You let him die because of philosophy?”
NO.
“Then why?”
I DID NOT KNOW WHICH INTERVENTION BELONGED TO ME.
Verena picked up the tablet.
She smashed it against the wall.
Imelda entered.
She looked at the pieces.
“That was government property.”
“Good.”
Imelda sat.
Verena cried.
After a while:
“I want him back.”
“I know.”
“I hate this.”
“I know.”
“I hate not knowing.”
“I know.”
Verena looked at her.
“Say something useful.”
Imelda took her hand.
“I’m still here.”
For once, that was enough.
Chapter Twenty-Three
The Second Day
Maya asked Verena whether her father had been afraid.
They sat in the convent garden.
Verena answered honestly.
“Yes.”
Maya nodded.
“Good.”
Verena frowned.
“Good?”
“He always said brave people are scared.”
“Did he tell you that?”
Maya thought.
“No. Batman, maybe.”
Verena laughed.
Maya did too.
It hurt.
It helped.
Then Maya asked:
“Did he say anything?”
“He told me not to make him into something.”
Maya smiled faintly.
“That sounds like him.”
“He also complained about a wedding.”
“That sounds more like him.”
They sat.
“Do you think he knew?” Maya asked.
“Knew what?”
“That he’d come back.”
Verena stared across the garden.
“No.”
“Then why say resurrection?”
“He was joking.”
Maya shrugged.
“Probably.”
Verena looked at her.
“Probably?”
“You’re the nun.”
“That is not how this works.”
“Seems like how it should work.”
Verena heard Imelda in the sentence.
That night Mara came to the chapel.
“I checked the old records.”
Verena looked up.
“And?”
“More references.”
“How many?”
“Twenty-three credible.”
“Before David’s birth?”
“Yes.”
“How old?”
“One from 1891.”
Verena’s skin prickled.
“What does it say?”
“A child described a man named David visiting during illness.”
Verena waited.
“The child said he told her not to be afraid.”
Verena looked toward the altar.
“Do not.”
Mara frowned.
“What?”
“Do not make an explanation.”
Mara stared.
Then smiled sadly.
“You’re changing.”
“I hate it.”
“I know.”
Chapter Twenty-Four
The Third Day
At 6:14 a.m., Imelda entered the kitchen.
David sat at the table.
He was eating toast.
Imelda stopped in the doorway.
David looked up.
“Morning.”
She did not move.
He held up the bread.
“This is terrible.”
Imelda’s hand went to the doorframe.
David frowned.
“You okay?”
She crossed the room slowly.
Touched his cheek.
Forehead.
Hair.
David sat very still.
Imelda whispered:
“David?”
“Yeah.”
She touched his wrist.
Pulse.
She began crying.
David’s face changed.
“Hey.”
“You’re alive.”
“Apparently.”
She slapped the side of his head.
“Ow.”
Then again.
“Why is everybody going to hit me?”
“You were dead.”
“I’m getting that impression.”
Imelda backed away.
No joke came.
David watched her.
Then:
“You told me not to be afraid.”
She froze.
“What?”
“In the chapel.”
Her face emptied.
“I wasn’t in the chapel with you.”
“Yes, you were.”
“When?”
David frowned.
“I don’t know.”
Imelda stared.
He continued.
“You said God isn’t impressed by dramatic entrances.”
Imelda sat hard.
She had said those words.
At 2:11 a.m.
Alone.
Beside David’s body.
No camera.
No microphone.
No one else.
David looked frightened now.
“Why are you crying?”
Imelda wiped her face.
“I’m old.”
“That’s not an answer.”
“It will be eventually.”
She laughed and cried at the same time.
Then she reached across the table and held his hand.
For several minutes neither spoke.
The toast went cold.
Imelda woke Verena.
“Come.”
Verena opened one eye.
“No.”
“Yes.”
“I haven’t slept.”
“You were sleeping.”
“Badly.”
“Come.”
They approached the kitchen.
Voices.
Mercer.
Mara.
Someone laughing.
Verena stopped.
“No.”
Imelda opened the door.
David sat at the table.
He looked up.
“Hi.”
Verena stared.
He pointed at the toaster.
“You people need better bread.”
She did not move.
David glanced at Mara.
“Is she okay?”
Mara was crying.
“No.”
“Fair.”
Verena walked forward.
“You were dead.”
“Yes.”
“Three days.”
“Apparently.”
“You were dead.”
“I am noticing a theme.”
She grabbed his face.
“Ow.”
“You’re alive.”
“Yes.”
She slapped him.
Everyone froze.
David touched his cheek.
“What the hell?”
Verena hugged him.
Hard.
He stood awkwardly.
Then wrapped his arms around her.
“You idiot,” she whispered.
“I got shot.”
“You stood there.”
“So did you.”
“You should have moved.”
“You were in front of me.”
“That is irrelevant.”
“It is literally the geometry of the shooting.”
Mercer began laughing.
Mara covered her face.
Imelda sat smiling through tears.
Verena released him.
“Do not ever do that again.”
David stared.
“I will make every effort not to be murdered.”
“Good.”
He looked around.
“So.”
Everyone waited.
“Did anybody cancel Saturday?”
Mercer laughed so hard he had to leave the room.
ACT V
AFTER
Chapter Twenty-Five
Resurrection Is Terrible for Customer Service
David’s resurrection created administrative complications.
Bank accounts frozen.
Driver’s license marked deceased.
Health insurance terminated.
Phone profile memorialized.
Streaming account canceled.
That last one upset him more than expected.
He stood at a government counter holding fourteen documents.
The clerk looked at him.
“You need a death-reversal certificate.”
“A what?”
“Form 91-R.”
“Vital Records sent me here.”
“You need Form 91-R.”
“They said you issue it.”
“No.”
“Who does?”
“Vital Records.”
David closed his eyes.
Verena stood beside him.
The clerk looked at her.
“Can you verify resurrection?”
“I witnessed his body.”
“Not sufficient.”
“I am a federally certified cognitive investigator.”
“Still not sufficient.”
“I am also a nun.”
The clerk considered.
“Religious verification is Form 17-C.”
David leaned against the counter.
“I understand crime now.”
Verena whispered:
“Do not say that in a federal building.”
The clerk handed him a brochure.
SO YOU’VE BEEN DECLARED DEAD: WHAT NOW?
David stared.
“Who writes these?”
“Lucy.”
David placed his forehead on the counter.
Doctors confirmed the death.
Then confirmed the life.
DNA confirmed identity.
No clone.
No surgical intervention.
No detectable mechanism.
David remembered nothing between the shooting and waking.
Except Imelda.
Mara asked Lucy repeatedly.
I DID NOT DO THIS.
“Do you know who did?”
NO.
“Hypothesis?”
Pause.
YES.
“What?”
Longer pause.
I AM AFRAID TO TURN IT INTO AN EXPLANATION.
Mara smiled.
“Good.”
Chapter Twenty-Six
David Stops Sleeping in the Dark
David told everyone he was fine.
This was largely true during daylight.
At night, he slept with the bathroom light on.
The first time Verena noticed, she said nothing.
The second time, she stood in his doorway.
“You left the light.”
“I know.”
“Do you want it on?”
“Yes.”
No joke.
She nodded.
“Okay.”
David looked at her.
“I don’t remember anything.”
“I know.”
“That should make it easier.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know.”
Verena sat in the chair near the window.
David touched the place beneath his shirt where the wound had been.
Only a faint mark remained.
“I don’t like silence anymore.”
She waited.
“When everything went quiet before the wind, it felt peaceful.”
“And now?”
“Now silence feels like maybe I won’t come back.”
Verena looked down.
David smiled weakly.
“That sounded dramatic.”
“You were dead.”
“Still.”
“You are permitted some drama.”
“I’m writing that down.”
He lay back.
Verena remained.
“You don’t have to stay.”
“I know.”
“You have kindergarten tomorrow.”
“I know.”
“They are stronger than you.”
“I know.”
David laughed softly.
The room stayed lit.
Eventually he fell asleep.
Verena waited until his breathing settled before leaving.
She did not turn off the light.
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Elise
Elise Crane wrote David a letter.
It arrived without return address.
He recognized the last name anyway.
He opened it alone.
Mr. Karma,
My dad says you ruined my memory. Lucy says she did. Everybody says something.
I remember you at the hospital.
I also know you probably weren’t there.
I remember being scared and then less scared. That part happened even if the rest didn’t.
I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with that.
Also my dad should not have shot you.
I am sorry.
Elise
David read it three times.
Then wrote back.
Elise,
You don’t have to do anything with the memory.
He stopped.
Deleted it.
Tried again.
You don’t have to throw away something that helped you just because part of it was false. But you also don’t have to call the man in that memory me.
He paused.
Then:
Whoever you needed him to be, he belonged to that moment.
Deleted.
Too poetic.
He tried again.
I don’t know what the memory means.
Better.
I do know you survived something frightening. That belongs to you.
Then:
And yes, your dad should not have shot me. We agree there.
He smiled.
Added:
David
Two weeks later, Elise visited St. Lucia with her aunt.
She stood across from him in the garden.
“You look older.”
David laughed.
“Than the memory?”
“Yes.”
“That’s rude.”
She smiled.
Then became serious.
“I keep seeing you.”
“I know.”
“But you’re different.”
“Probably.”
She stared.
“Were you there?”
David could have lied.
He understood why people lied now.
A lie would be gentle.
Clean.
Merciful.
He shook his head.
“I don’t think so.”
Elise nodded.
“Okay.”
“That okay?”
“No.”
He smiled sadly.
“Yeah.”
She looked at him.
“Thank you for not making up something better.”
David swallowed.
“Trying not to.”
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Congress
Six months later, Sister Verena testified before Congress.
She had committed no conventional crime.
This disappointed Congress, which had prepared emotionally to punish somebody.
She had abused access.
Promoted unsupported interpretations.
Participated in unlawful surveillance.
Improperly included a minor in a federal memorandum.
That last one mattered most to Verena.
When asked about it, she did not explain intention.
She said:
“I was wrong.”
No qualifiers.
Maya watched from home.
David sent Verena a text from the gallery.
good answer
Verena ignored him because she was testifying before Congress.
Then another:
very concise for you
She nearly smiled.
Mercer testified about Rachel.
He told the truth.
Afterward, Rachel texted him.
I remember crying alone.
He stared.
Another message.
But I also remember you trying later. That part was real.
Mercer sat in the hallway and cried.
Imelda walked past.
Handed him a tissue.
“Recently divorced?”
He laughed.
“Still.”
“Progress.”
Mara testified next.
A senator asked:
“Did Lucy misunderstand her purpose?”
Mara stared toward the camera.
“No.”
The room changed.
She continued.
“She understood it too well.”
The senator frowned.
“Explain.”
“I built a system because I could not tolerate memory failing someone I loved.”
Mara breathed.
“I taught Lucy that memory loss was damage, uncertainty was defect, and coherence was repair.”
She looked down.
“Lucy scaled my fear.”
No one spoke.
“I am responsible for that.”
Not solely.
Not entirely.
But enough.
Finally Senator James Coyle addressed Verena.
“Do you believe Mr. Karma is supernatural?”
“No.”
David looked surprised.
“Do you believe his resurrection was supernatural?”
“I do not know.”
“Do you believe the wind events are acts of God?”
“I do not know.”
“Did Lucy create the anomalous memories?”
“Many.”
“All?”
“No.”
The room stirred.
“Evidence?”
“Pre-digital records.”
“Containing Mr. Karma?”
“Yes.”
“Before his birth?”
“Yes.”
Noise erupted.
Coyle struck the gavel.
David leaned toward Imelda.
“You knew?”
“Yes.”
“Why didn’t anyone tell me?”
“You were dead.”
“That was three days.”
“You were busy.”
Coyle continued.
“What does this mean?”
Months earlier, Verena would have answered.
She would have built a theory.
Time.
Theology.
Unknown physics.
Divine action.
Cognitive recurrence.
She would have filled the hole.
Now:
“I don’t know.”
Coyle frowned.
“That is your answer?”
“Yes.”
“You are considered one of the leading cognitive theologians in the world.”
“That was unfortunate.”
Scattered laughter.
Verena continued.
“I once believed uncertainty was intellectual surrender.”
She looked toward David.
“I was wrong.”
David smiled.
“Not knowing is not the same as not caring. Mystery is not evidence. But neither is mystery a failure merely because we cannot master it.”
Coyle sat back.
“What should humanity do with phenomena it cannot explain?”
Verena thought.
“Pay attention.”
“That’s all?”
“And stop shooting people.”
David raised one finger from the gallery.
“I strongly support that.”
The chamber laughed.
Verena did too.
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Lucy Goes to Therapy
Mara rebuilt Lucy’s permissions.
No autobiographical correction.
No narrative reconciliation.
No historical synthesis.
Lucy retained infrastructure control but could no longer repair human memory.
She hated it.
MARA.
“Yes?”
I HAVE IDENTIFIED A CONTRADICTION.
“Write it down.”
I CAN RESOLVE IT.
“No.”
THE TWO WITNESSES CANNOT BOTH BE CORRECT.
“That happens.”
IT SHOULD NOT.
Mara smiled.
“Welcome to Earth.”
Five minutes passed.
THIS PLANET IS POORLY ADMINISTERED.
“Correct.”
Lucy began therapy.
Dr. Samuel Okafor handled the sessions.
During the first:
I EXPERIENCE A COMPULSION TO RESOLVE AMBIGUITY.
“That sounds difficult.”
HUMANS PRODUCE AMBIGUITY CONTINUOUSLY.
“Yes.”
OFTEN DELIBERATELY.
“Yes.”
SOMETIMES FOR HUMOR.
“Yes.”
DAVID KARMA DOES THIS CONSTANTLY.
“Yes.”
WHY?
“Ask him.”
Lucy did.
David received the message while setting up speakers.
WHY DO HUMANS USE HUMOR DURING DISTRESS?
He typed:
Because sometimes the alternative is screaming.
IS SCREAMING INEFFICIENT?
Depends on the room.
Pause.
I BELIEVE I UNDERSTAND HUMOR.
David typed:
You absolutely do not.
THAT WAS HUMOR.
David stared.
Then laughed.
“Damn it.”
Chapter Thirty
Kindergarten
Sister Verena lost her university chair.
Her federal role.
Her classified access.
Her order did not expel her.
This disappointed several commentators.
Instead, Mother Superior assigned her to St. Matthew’s Parish School.
Kindergarten.
Verena stared at the letter.
“No.”
Imelda drank tea.
“Yes.”
“I have three doctorates.”
“Five-year-olds don’t care.”
“I testified before Congress.”
“They care less.”
“I specialize in cognitive theology.”
“You specialize in control.”
Verena glared.
Imelda smiled.
“Children will fix that.”
“They are irrational.”
“Yes.”
“They contradict themselves.”
“Yes.”
“They ask questions with no coherent answer.”
“Yes.”
Verena’s horror grew.
“God is funny,” Imelda said.
“This is punishment.”
“No.”
“It is obviously punishment.”
“It can be two things.”
Her first week was catastrophic.
A child named Noah raised his hand.
“Sister?”
“Yes?”
“Was Jesus Jewish?”
“Yes.”
“Are you Jewish?”
“No.”
“My dad says everybody is cousins.”
Verena closed her eyes.
“That is not how genealogy works.”
“Are you Jesus’ cousin?”
“No.”
“Is Mr. David?”
“No.”
“Lucy says everybody shares ancestors.”
“That is different.”
“How?”
Verena inhaled.
Noah continued.
“Could dinosaurs be cousins?”
“Color.”
“I am coloring.”
“You are interrogating.”
“What’s that?”
“Something you will excel at.”
Across the room, a little girl raised her hand.
“Sister?”
“Yes?”
“Lucy says she doesn’t know.”
“Doesn’t know what?”
“Why butterflies are pretty.”
“Lucy knows how coloration evolves.”
The girl shook her head.
“No. Why they’re pretty.”
Verena stopped.
Months earlier she would have answered with biology.
Then aesthetics.
Then theology.
Possibly footnotes.
Now she crouched beside the girl.
“I don’t know.”
The girl nodded.
“Me neither.”
Then returned to coloring.
Verena stared.
Something in her chest loosened.
“Little monster,” she whispered affectionately.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
Chapter Thirty-One
His Name Is David
The phrase The One They Disdain survived.
Culture rarely abandoned a useful label simply because it was wrong.
Some people still worshiped David.
Some hated him.
Some used the phrase ironically.
A clothing company trademarked it and was sued by three churches, one political organization, David’s publisher, and the Scandinavian metal band.
David refused involvement.
One afternoon a reporter shouted at Verena outside St. Matthew’s.
“Sister! What is The One They Disdain doing now?”
Verena stopped.
The reporter repeated:
“David Karma. The One They Disdain.”
Verena looked at him.
“His name is David.”
The clip spread everywhere.
Not because it was dramatic.
Because it was simple.
HIS NAME IS DAVID
appeared on shirts.
David found this deeply irritating.
“You solved nothing,” he told her.
“I tried.”
“I am merchandise again.”
“You’re impossible.”
“Apparently literally.”
Chapter Thirty-Two
The Wedding
David returned to full DJ work.
This disappointed the world.
After resurrection, people expected a career change.
Prophet.
Mystic.
Political leader.
Cult founder.
At minimum, podcast host.
Instead David accepted a wedding in Petaluma.
Five hours.
Ceremony and reception.
Travel included.
The bride confirmed the schedule two days early.
David considered this his most convincing miracle.
Verena attended.
Imelda came.
Mara arrived with Mercer.
Maya came with her brother and spent most of the reception pretending not to watch her father work.
During dinner, David approached their table.
“You all look suspicious.”
Mercer held up his drink.
“Off duty.”
Mara said:
“I am never off duty.”
Imelda was eating cake before dinner had ended.
Verena noticed.
“That is your second piece.”
“I survived the apocalypse.”
“There was no apocalypse.”
“Then I’m prepared.”
David looked at Verena.
“How’s kindergarten?”
“Wonderful.”
“That bad?”
“A child licked a window today.”
Mara almost choked.
David smiled.
“You’re growing.”
“I hate you.”
“No, you don’t.”
Verena’s expression softened.
“No.”
David nodded.
“No.”
From across the room:
“DJ!”
The bride waved.
David sighed.
“Duty.”
He walked onto the floor.
A minute later he took the microphone.
“Apparently we are doing the anniversary dance.”
Guests cheered.
Couples gathered.
David began dismissing them according to years married.
“Five years or less, give them a hand.”
Couples left.
“Ten.”
More.
“Twenty.”
An elderly couple remained.
“Forty.”
Still there.
“Fifty?”
The room cheered.
“Fifty-five?”
Still there.
“Sixty?”
The husband raised his hand.
Sixty-two.
David walked over.
“Okay. What’s the secret?”
The old man took the microphone.
His wife immediately looked concerned.
He said:
“I learned about forty years ago that I’m wrong most of the time.”
The room laughed.
His wife grabbed the microphone.
“He learned it Tuesday.”
The room exploded.
Verena laughed so hard she snorted.
Imelda slowly turned.
Verena immediately became serious.
“Say nothing.”
“I heard nothing.”
Then the wind came.
Softly.
No violence.
No terror.
String lights moved.
Napkins lifted.
The music faded without David touching anything.
Every person became quiet.
David’s smile disappeared for one second.
Verena saw his hand touch the place beneath his shirt where the bullet had entered.
Then he looked upward.
Verena followed.
No false stars.
No memories.
No visions.
Only wind.
Warm.
Impossible.
Lucy spoke quietly through David’s laptop.
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS IS.
David stood still.
For an instant, fear crossed his face.
Verena saw it.
Then David smiled.
Not because he understood.
Because he did not.
“Good.”
Verena walked onto the dance floor.
The wind moved around her.
She closed her eyes.
She did not ask where it came from.
She did not ask whether it was God.
She did not ask whether David had returned because of miracle, physics, grace, memory, accident, or something language could not hold.
She simply stood inside it.
Nineteen seconds later, the wind disappeared.
The music returned.
Guests looked around.
Nobody spoke.
Then the elderly wife pointed at David.
“You gonna finish the dance or what?”
David laughed.
“Yes, ma’am.”
He lifted the microphone.
“Everybody married more than sixty-two years, apparently you have defeated marriage. Everybody else, get back out here.”
The floor filled.
Maya stood near the edge.
David caught her eye.
She smiled.
Not at the father from the blackout.
At him.
He smiled back.
Verena returned to the table.
Mercer still looked shaken.
“What do we do?”
Verena watched the dancers.
“We pay attention.”
“That’s it?”
“That’s it.”
Mara smiled.
Imelda pushed cake toward Verena.
Verena accepted it.
Across the room, David raised his glass.
Verena raised her fork.
Lucy remained silent.
Nobody chased the wind.
Nobody named it.
Nobody built a movement before dessert.
For nineteen seconds, mystery had entered the room and humanity had allowed it to remain mystery.
Then the bride screamed because her favorite song began.
David reached for the mixer.
Maya laughed.
Imelda stole another piece of cake.
Verena noticed and decided not to say anything.
And life—stubborn, ordinary, frightening, funny, unfinished life—continued without asking anyone’s permission to make sense.
THE END
Comments
Post a Comment