Daily Prayers of David the Evangelist

A Daily Rule of Christian Prayer

The Daily Prayers
of David the Evangelist

Prayers of surrender, repentance, spiritual armor, peace, witness, and victory in Jesus Christ.

These prayers may be prayed together as one daily devotion or individually throughout the day. They are not formulas or incantations. Their strength is not in repetition itself, but in the God to whom they are offered.

Their central confession is simple: I do not fight in order to make Christ victorious. I stand in the victory Jesus Christ has already won.

Prayer I

The Prayer of Morning Surrender

Romans 12:1

Heavenly Father, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Creator of heaven and earth, I come before You in the name of Jesus Christ, Your eternal Son, my Lord, my Savior, and my King.

You made me. You know me. You sustain me. You have seen every day of my life, and nothing about me is hidden from You.

Here I am, Lord.
I belong to You.

I surrender my entire being to You.

My body is Yours.
My mind is Yours.
My heart is Yours.
My soul is Yours.
My strength is Yours.
My voice is Yours.
My gifts are Yours.
My work is Yours.
My memories are Yours.
My future is Yours.
My successes are Yours.
My disappointments are Yours.
My fears are Yours.
My hopes are Yours.

Whatever is good within me, multiply it for Your glory. Whatever is sinful within me, cleanse it. Whatever is wounded, heal according to Your wisdom. Whatever is confused, illuminate. Whatever is proud, humble. Whatever is afraid, teach to trust. Whatever is restless, bring beneath the peace of Christ.

I offer myself to You as a living sacrifice. I place my plans beneath Your plans, my desires beneath Your wisdom, and my will beneath Yours.

Your will be done.

Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer II

The Prayer of Repentance and Mercy

Psalm 51

Lord God, have mercy on me.

I confess that I need Your grace every day. Forgive the sins I recognize and the sins I have failed to recognize. Forgive the words I should not have spoken, the good I neglected to do, the pride I defended, the bitterness I entertained, and the times I chose fear instead of faith.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Where I have fallen, raise me. Where I have wandered, call me home. Where I have become hardened, soften me. Where I have believed a lie, correct me with truth. Where I have harmed another person, give me humility to make peace wherever peace is righteous and possible.

Teach me repentance without despair. Let repentance turn my whole being toward You.

Because You have shown mercy to me, teach me mercy. Because You have forgiven me, teach me forgiveness.

I surrender vengeance. I surrender the need to replay old battles. I surrender the need to answer every accusation. I surrender the desire to force every person to understand me.

I do not call evil good. I do not pretend that wrongdoing did not happen. I do not abandon wisdom or healthy boundaries.

But judgment belongs ultimately to You.

Free my heart from hatred. Make me truthful without cruelty, discerning without bitterness, and strong without becoming hard.

Through Jesus Christ my Lord.
Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer III

The Confession of Jesus Christ

John 1:1–14 · Philippians 2:5–11

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, I confess You before heaven and earth:

Jesus Christ is Lord.

You are the Living Word. You are the promised Messiah. You are the Lamb of God. You are the Good Shepherd. You are the Way. You are the Truth. You are the Life. You are the Resurrection. You are King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

You are Emmanuel: God with us.

The God of Abraham did not abandon His creation. The eternal Son took human flesh and walked among us.

You knew hunger and weariness. You knew sorrow and rejection. You knew betrayal and suffering. Yet You remained without sin.

You healed. You taught. You forgave. You called sinners to repentance. You proclaimed the Kingdom of God.

You were crucified. You died. You were buried.

And on the third day, You rose.

Death could not master You. The grave could not contain You. Darkness could not overcome the Light.

You live. You reign. You intercede. And You will come again.

My hope is not merely an idea.
My hope is Jesus Christ.

Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer IV

The Prayer for the Holy Spirit

Galatians 5:22–23

Holy Spirit, Spirit of the living God, fill me.

Fill my mind with truth.
Fill my heart with love.
Fill my mouth with words that honor God.
Fill my hands with good works.
Fill my steps with wisdom.

Guide me. Correct me. Comfort me. Strengthen me. Convict me. Give me discernment. Give me courage. Give me patience. Give me self-control.

Do not permit fear to impersonate Your voice. Do not permit anger to impersonate righteousness. Do not permit pride to impersonate courage. Do not permit despair to impersonate humility. Do not permit impulse to impersonate guidance.

Lead me according to Holy Scripture and according to the character of Jesus Christ.

Produce within me love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

If I speak boldly but forget love, correct me. If I defend truth but become cruel, correct me. If I seek justice and forget mercy, correct me. If I pursue holiness and become proud, correct me.

Make me more like Jesus.

Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer V

The Prayer of Protection and Spiritual Armor

Ephesians 6:10–18

Father, place Your protection around me according to Your will.

Guard my mind from deception. Guard my heart from hatred. Guard my body from needless danger. Guard my words from recklessness. Guard my decisions from foolishness.

Guard my home. Guard those I love. Guard my work. Guard my sleep. Guard my waking. Guard my going out and my coming in.

Separate me from the schemes of the Evil One. Let no work of darkness draw me away from Jesus Christ.

Give me wisdom to recognize danger without becoming ruled by fear. Give me courage to establish boundaries. Give me discernment to know when to speak and when to walk away.

If hardship comes, remain with me. If opposition comes, steady me. If suffering comes, preserve my faith. If temptation comes, provide the way of escape.

And if I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, remind me that You are with me.

I do not ask for a life in which nothing difficult can ever happen. I ask for a life rooted so deeply in Jesus Christ that nothing can separate me from the love of God.

Clothe Me With the Armor of God

Fasten around me the belt of truth. May I love truth even when truth corrects me.

Cover me with the breastplate of righteousness. May I desire holiness more than appearances.

Prepare my feet with the Gospel of peace. Make me a peacemaker who never abandons the Gospel.

Place in my hand the shield of faith. When fear sends its flaming arrows, let faith extinguish them.

Guard my mind with the helmet of salvation. Protect me from hopelessness and condemnation.

And place within my hand and upon my lips the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.

Let Scripture cut through lies, temptation, confusion, and despair. Let Your Word correct me before I ever attempt to correct another person.

Send Your holy angels according to Your command and wisdom.

Saint Michael the Archangel, faithful servant of the Most High God, defend God's people in battle against wickedness and the snares of the devil.

Yet my trust is not in angels, objects, feelings, or my own strength.

My trust is in the Lord God Almighty.

Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer VI

The Prayer of Victory Over Fear

1 John 4:4 · 1 Corinthians 15:57 · Isaiah 26:3

Father, Your right hand is lifted high. Your right hand does mighty things.

Your throne is established. Your Kingdom cannot be shaken.

Therefore I do not need to manufacture victory through emotion. I do not need to become consumed with darkness. I do not need to shout louder than evil in order for You to remain God.

You were God before I awakened this morning. You will remain God when I sleep tonight.

You are God when I feel courageous. You are God when I feel weak. You are God when circumstances favor me. You are God when I must endure.

Jesus Christ is already victorious.

I do not fight to make Him victorious. I stand in the victory He has already won.

I refuse to make the enemy the center of my spiritual life.

The enemy is not the center. The battle is not the center. Fear is not the center.

Jesus Christ is the center.

The Cross stands. The tomb is empty. Christ is risen. Christ reigns. Christ will come again.

I may experience fear, but fear will not become my lord. I may experience anxiety, but anxiety will not define reality. I may experience uncertainty, but uncertainty will not replace faith. I may encounter evil, but evil will not capture my attention from Christ.

I will be watchful without becoming consumed. I will be discerning without becoming suspicious of everything. I will be courageous without becoming reckless. I will be confident without becoming proud.

Greater is He who is in His people than he who is in the world.

Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer VII

The Prayer of David the Evangelist

Matthew 28:18–20 · 1 Peter 3:15

Lord Jesus Christ, You did not call Your followers merely to defend themselves.

You told us to go.

Therefore, Lord:

Send me.

Give me the heart of an evangelist.

Give me love for people who do not know You. Give me compassion rather than superiority. Give me courage without arrogance. Give me conviction without cruelty. Give me patience with those who doubt. Give me wisdom with those who question. Give me gentleness with those who are wounded. Give me courage before those who mock. Give me humility when I do not know an answer.

Give me discipline to study Your Word faithfully.

Never allow me to manipulate another human being toward faith. Let me proclaim Christ faithfully and entrust the work of conversion to Your grace.

Open the doors You desire opened. Close the doors You desire closed. Give me the right words at the right time.

And sometimes, Lord, give me the wisdom to say nothing and simply love the person standing before me.

Let my life preach before my mouth does.

May people see patience where anger would be expected. Forgiveness where retaliation would be expected. Courage where fear would be expected. Generosity where selfishness would be expected. Integrity where compromise would be easier.

Do not merely protect me from darkness.

Make me useful in the darkness.

Where there is despair, let me carry hope. Where there is confusion, let me speak truth. Where there is hatred, let me refuse hatred. Where there is loneliness, let me notice the forgotten. Where there is suffering, let me serve. Where reconciliation is possible, make me a peacemaker. Where the Gospel should be proclaimed, open my mouth. Where silence is wiser, close it.

Let me never become so fascinated with spiritual warfare that I overlook the people Christ died to save.

The enemy is not the center of the Gospel.
Jesus is.

Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer VIII

The Prayer for My Calling and Work

Colossians 3:23

Lord, bless the work of my hands according to Your will.

Give me discipline. Give me creativity. Give me endurance. Give me wisdom. Give me integrity.

Protect me from turning success into an idol. Protect me from interpreting every setback as rejection.

Open the doors You desire. Close the doors You do not desire.

Teach me to prepare diligently and then release the outcome to You.

When success comes, let me give thanks. When disappointment comes, let me learn. When plans change, let me adapt. When I must begin again, give me courage.

If You give me influence, keep me humble. If You give me knowledge, keep me teachable. If You give me success, keep me grateful. If You give me a public voice, protect me from loving attention more than truth.

If people praise me, let the praise pass through me toward You. If people criticize me, help me receive what is true and release what is false. If I am wrong, give me courage to admit it. If I am right, give me grace not to become proud.

My vocation is not my god.
My reputation is not my god.
Money is not my god.
Achievement is not my god.

You are God.

Let everything I create, build, teach, perform, write, speak, and accomplish remain beneath Your authority.

Amen.

✦ ✦ ✦
Prayer IX

The Prayer of Final Surrender and Peace

Philippians 4:6–7

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one God:

I surrender everything again.

Take what I understand. Take what I do not understand. Take everything behind me. Take everything before me. Take every unanswered question. Take every fear about tomorrow. Take every accusation from yesterday. Take every burden I was never meant to carry.

Take every ambition and purify it. Take every gift and use it. Take every wound and redeem it.

I do not need to know everything.
I need to know You.

I do not need to control everything.
I need to trust You.

I do not need to win every argument.
I need to remain faithful.

I do not need to fear every enemy.
I need to remain near my Savior.

Father, make me Yours. Jesus, keep me near You. Holy Spirit, fill me and guide me.

Let the peace of God guard my heart and mind. Let the love of God drive out fear. Let the Word of God remain upon my lips. Let the armor of God remain upon me. Let the Cross remain before me. Let the Resurrection remain my hope. Let the Gospel remain my proclamation.

I belong to Jesus Christ.

Fear does not own me.
My past does not own me.
Failure does not own me.
Other people's opinions do not own me.
Death itself does not own me.

Jesus Christ is Lord.

I can experience fear without worshiping fear. I can experience pain without making pain my identity. I can endure uncertainty without abandoning faith. I can stumble and rise again through Your mercy. I can face opposition without becoming like those who oppose me. I can lose something without losing Christ.

And if I have Christ, I possess a treasure the world cannot take away.

I do not fight for Christ's victory.
I stand in the victory Christ has already won.

Send me into this day—or grant me rest at the end of it.

Send me without fear. Send me without hatred. Send me without arrogance. Send me filled with truth. Send me filled with mercy. Send me filled with courage. Send me filled with love.

I am not the Savior. You are.

I am not the Light. You are the Light.

I am not the Living Word. Jesus Christ is the Living Word.

I am Your servant. I am Your witness. I am Your evangelist.

Use me.

And when this day is finished, whatever has happened, let me be able to say:

Lord, I remained Yours.

You made me.
You called me.
You redeemed me.
You sustain me.

Therefore I give myself to You again:

My life.
My voice.
My mind.
My work.
My witness.
My future.
All of it.

Jesus Christ is Lord.

To the Father,
through the Son,
in the Holy Spirit,

be glory, honor, worship, and praise,
now and forever.

In the holy and victorious name of Jesus Christ,

Amen.

“The light shines in the darkness.”
John 1:5
The Daily Prayers of David the Evangelist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bay Area Mobile DJ Renaissance: From Daly City Garages to the Center of Nightlife - written by DJ Buddy Holly (David Charles Kramer)

SECRET SUPERPOWERS OF THE DREKS: The Confession of Renata - written by David Charles Kramer aka DJ Buddy Holly

🎧 The Golden Era of Funky Hard House: When DJs Controlled the Night and the Dancefloor Moved as One (written by David Charles Kramer aka DJ Buddy Holly