Messianic Jewish Christian Prayer Book — A Free Christian Prayer Book
Messianic Jewish Christian Prayer Book — A Free Christian Prayer Book
About This Collection
This is a free Messianic Jewish Christian devotional collection centered on Yeshua the Messiah — Jesus Christ. It is not a denomination, an official synagogue or church publication, or a claim to ecclesiastical authority.
I am a Jewish follower of Yeshua. My faith is rooted in the God of Israel, the Scriptures of Israel, and the conviction that Yeshua is the promised Messiah, Lord, and Savior. My ordinary pattern of prayer is focused: I come to the Father through Yeshua the Messiah, trusting Yeshua as my great High Priest and intercessor, and I ask the Father to fill, guide, strengthen, and sanctify me by the Holy Spirit. Salvation is God's gift of grace, received through faith, and Scripture is the foundation by which I seek to know God and follow Messiah.
In a very real sense, this collection reflects a full-circle journey. I began by identifying as a Messianic Jew, spent time learning from and praying within several Christian traditions, and ultimately came home again to the same basic identity: a Jew who believes in Yeshua. Along the way, I discovered prayers from Orthodox, Catholic, and other Christian traditions that continue to help me turn my heart toward God. I do not have to erase that journey in order to live faithfully as a Messianic Jew.
The prayers gathered here therefore come from several sources: Jewish Scripture and Messianic Jewish faith, traditional Orthodox morning and evening prayers, ancient Akathists, and familiar Western Christian devotions. They are presented together for personal prayer while being honest about where each tradition comes from.
Many historic prayers are beautiful but can be difficult for modern readers when they are expressed in older English. The wording in this collection has therefore been carefully rendered into clear, natural contemporary English while seeking to preserve their meaning, reverence, theology, and devotional character.
This is a devotional modernization and personal collection, not an official liturgical translation. When praying in a congregation, synagogue, church, or parish setting, use the wording and prayer books provided by that community.
I use the personal ministry name “David the Evangelist” because my purpose is to share the Good News of Yeshua the Messiah and encourage people to turn toward God. It is not a title of church office. The name David also reminds me of King David of Israel: a man who prayed honestly, repented, trusted the God of Israel, and gave the people of God a treasury of prayer in the Psalms.
May these prayers help anyone who finds them seek the God of Israel through Yeshua the Messiah with faith, repentance, gratitude, humility, and love.
“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
— Romans 10:13
Contents
Messianic Jewish Foundation
These prayers are offered from the perspective of a Jewish follower of Yeshua. The heart of this collection is not a particular denomination but the God of Israel, the Scriptures, and faith in Yeshua as Messiah.
The Shema
Hear, O Israel: the Lord is our God, the Lord is one.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
Messianic Confession
God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, I believe that Yeshua is the Messiah, the Son of God, my Lord and Savior. Thank you for your mercy, for the covenant promises given through Israel, for the Scriptures, and for the salvation you have given through Messiah. Teach me to walk in faith, obedience, repentance, mercy, and love. Fill me with your Holy Spirit and keep my heart faithful to you. Amen.
A Simple Daily Pattern
- Morning: Shema → Messianic Confession → Apostles’ Creed or Nicene Creed → Prayer to the Father through Yeshua → Prayer to Be Filled with the Holy Spirit → Morning Prayers → Jesus Prayer.
- During the day: Lord’s Prayer, Jesus Prayer, a Psalm, or a short prayer to the Father through Yeshua.
- Evening: Thanksgiving → confession to God → Evening Prayer to the Father → prayer for the Spirit’s guidance → Jesus Prayer.
A prayer rule should be steady enough to shape your day, but not so complicated that you cannot keep it. Pray slowly and pay attention to the meaning of the words.
Orthodox Opening Prayers
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God and Messiah, have mercy on us and lead us to the Father. Amen.
Glory to you, our God, glory to you.
Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of truth, you are everywhere and fill all things. You are the Treasury of every good gift and the Giver of life. Come and live within us. Cleanse us from every stain, and in your goodness save our souls.
The Trisagion
Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us. (three times) Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and always and forever. Amen.
Prayer to the Holy Trinity
Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, forgive our wrongs. Holy One, come to us and heal our weaknesses for the sake of your name.
Lord, have mercy. (three times)
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and always and forever. Amen.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. May your kingdom come, and may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today the bread we need. Forgive our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Do not let us fall into temptation, but rescue us from the evil one. For yours are the kingdom, the power, and the glory: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and always and forever. Amen.
The Apostles’ Creed
An ancient summary of Christian faith. This creed is not itself a passage of Scripture, but its major affirmations are drawn from biblical teaching.
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Yeshua the Messiah, Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Miriam. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy universal Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
The Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed
A historic creed of the early Church, included here because it summarizes central Christian convictions about the Father, Yeshua the Messiah, and the Holy Spirit.
I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of everything visible and invisible. I believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father before all ages; Light from Light, true God from true God; begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven. By the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary he took flesh and became truly human. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered and was buried. On the third day he rose again, in fulfillment of the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will never end. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of life, who proceeds from the Father. Together with the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified. He spoke through the prophets. I believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. I look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the age to come. Amen.
Morning Prayer Rule
After waking, become still before God and begin with the Opening Prayers if you are able.
To the Holy Trinity
As I rise from sleep, I bow before you, blessed and mighty God, and join the angels in praise: Holy, holy, holy are you, O God. Have mercy on me through Yeshua the Messiah. Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. Father, you have raised me from sleep. Enlighten my mind and heart, and open my lips so that I may praise you. Fill me with your Holy Spirit and keep me faithful to Yeshua. The day of judgment will come when every hidden thing is brought to light, so teach me to walk humbly before you today. Amen.
Morning Prayer to the Father
Lord Almighty, God of all creation, you dwell on high and yet look with compassion on the humble. You know every heart and see what is hidden within us. Eternal and unchanging Light, receive the prayer I offer this morning even though my words are imperfect. In the greatness of your mercy, forgive every sin I have committed knowingly or unknowingly, in thought, word, or action. Cleanse me in body and soul. Keep my heart awake and my mind clear as I pass through this life, waiting for the glorious coming of your only Son, our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ. On that day every life will be revealed and each person will answer for what they have done. Do not let me become careless or spiritually asleep. Give me courage to live faithfully, so that I may be ready to enter the joy of your kingdom, where those who love you rejoice without end. You are the true Light who enlightens and makes all things holy, and all creation praises you forever. Amen.
Morning Prayer to the Father Through Yeshua
Father, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, I come to you through Yeshua the Messiah. Thank you that he is my Lord, my Savior, and my great High Priest who intercedes for me. Forgive my sins, direct my thoughts, guard my words, and order my steps today. Keep my eyes fixed on Yeshua and teach me to obey your Word with a willing heart. I ask this in the name of Yeshua. Amen.
Prayer to Be Filled with the Holy Spirit
Father, fill me with your Holy Spirit. Let your Spirit guide my mind, strengthen my conscience, produce holy fruit in my life, give me wisdom to understand Scripture, and give me power to resist sin. Make me more like Yeshua in love, patience, courage, mercy, faithfulness, and self-control. Do not let me depend on my own strength. Lead me by your Spirit today, through Yeshua the Messiah. Amen.
Core Prayers for Any Time
The Jesus Prayer
This may be prayed slowly once, several times, or repeatedly with a prayer rope. Let the words become a sincere turning of the heart toward Christ.
Glory Be - Doxology
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
Short Prayer for Mercy
Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.
Short Prayer of Praise
Glory to you, O Christ our God, our hope; glory to you.
Biblical Witnesses: Miriam, Michael, Gabriel & Raphael
This section remembers two important biblical figures without directing prayer to them. Honor belongs to God, and prayer is directed to God.
Miriam, Mother of Yeshua
The angel Gabriel greeted Miriam as one who had received God’s favor and told her that the Lord was with her (Luke 1:28). Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, called her blessed among women and called the child she carried blessed (Luke 1:41–42). Miriam responded with humble faith and magnified the Lord rather than herself (Luke 1:46–55).
Prayer to God
Father, thank you for Miriam and for the faith with which she received your calling. Give me humility, courage, and obedience to your Word. Above all, thank you for Yeshua, the Messiah she bore, my Lord and Savior. May my life, like hers, magnify you. In Yeshua’s name, amen.
Michael the Archangel in Scripture
Michael appears in Daniel as a chief prince associated with the defense of God’s people (Daniel 10:13, 21; 12:1). Jude identifies him as “Michael the archangel” and records that, when disputing with the devil, he appealed to the Lord’s authority: “The Lord rebuke you” (Jude 9). Revelation depicts Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon (Revelation 12:7–9).
Prayer to God
God of Israel, you command the armies of heaven and all creation is under your authority. Thank you for your holy angels who serve according to your will. Protect me from evil, strengthen me against temptation, and teach me to depend on your authority rather than my own strength. Keep me faithful to Yeshua and filled with your Spirit. Amen.
Gabriel in Scripture
Gabriel is named in Daniel and Luke. In Daniel, he is sent to help Daniel understand a vision (Daniel 8:16; 9:21–23). In Luke, Gabriel announces the birth of John the Baptist to Zechariah and later announces to Miriam that she will bear Yeshua the Messiah (Luke 1:19, 26–38).
Prayer to God
Father, thank you for the ways you have sent your messengers to announce your purposes and call your people to faith. Give me a listening heart like those who received your word with humility. Help me recognize your truth in Scripture and respond in obedience through Yeshua the Messiah. Amen.
Raphael in Tobit
Raphael is named in the Book of Tobit, where he identifies himself as one of the seven angels who stand in the presence of God (Tobit 12:15). Tobit is included in Catholic and Orthodox Old Testaments but is not part of the Jewish Tanakh or most Protestant Old Testaments. It is included here as a biblical witness from the deuterocanonical tradition.
Prayer to God
God of mercy, thank you that all faithful angels serve according to your command and remain under your authority. Guide me, protect me, and bring healing where it is needed according to your will. Keep my trust in you alone, through Yeshua the Messiah, and fill me with your Holy Spirit. Amen.
Evening Prayer Rule
At the end of the day, become quiet before God. If possible, begin with the Opening Prayers. Remember the day honestly, give thanks for what was good, confess what was wrong, forgive others, and entrust the night to God.
Prayer for Mercy
Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy on us. We have no excuse to offer. As sinners standing before our God, we ask for mercy. Father, we put our trust in you. Do not deal with us according to our sins. Look on us with compassion and deliver us from evil. We come to you through Yeshua the Messiah, who intercedes for us. Fill us with your Holy Spirit and keep us faithful to you. Amen.
Evening Prayer to the Father
Eternal God, King of all creation, thank you for bringing me safely to this hour. Forgive every sin I committed today in thought, word, or action. Cleanse my soul and body from everything that defiles them. Grant me peaceful sleep tonight. When I rise again, help me live in a way that honors your holy name. Deliver me from empty thoughts, harmful desires, and every visible or invisible enemy. For yours are the kingdom, the power, and the glory: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and always and forever. Amen.
Evening Prayer to Jesus Christ
Lord Jesus Christ, eternal Word of the Father and perfect Son of God, in your great mercy never leave me. Good Shepherd, do not let me follow the voice of the serpent or surrender to evil desires. The seeds of corruption are still within me, so stay near and guard me. Holy King Jesus, while I sleep protect me by the unfading light of your Holy Spirit, the same Spirit by whom you made your disciples holy. Give me your salvation even as I lie down to rest. Enlighten my mind with the truth of your Gospel, fill my soul with love for your Cross, purify my heart by your word, and teach me your humility. Raise me at the proper time so that I may glorify you with your eternal Father and your all-holy Spirit forever. Amen.
Evening Prayer for the Holy Spirit’s Work
Father, search my heart and forgive every way I have sinned today, knowingly or unknowingly, in thought, word, or action. I come to you through Yeshua the Messiah, trusting his mercy and intercession. Fill me again with your Holy Spirit. Let your Spirit expose what needs repentance, quiet what is anxious or disordered, strengthen what is weak, and form in me the character of Yeshua. Give me peaceful rest and raise me ready to walk with you tomorrow. In Yeshua’s name, amen.
Evening Prayer to the Father Through Yeshua
Father, I entrust this night to you. Thank you for Yeshua, who lives and intercedes for your people. Keep my mind fixed on what is true, guard me from evil, and let your Holy Spirit give me peace. I place myself and those I love in your hands. In the name of Yeshua the Messiah, amen.
Prayer Before Sleep
Into your hands, Lord Jesus Christ my God, I place my spirit, my soul, and my body. Bless me, have mercy on me, and grant me peaceful rest. Keep me from sin and from every evil influence, and raise me again to praise you. Amen.
Jesus Prayer Before Sleep
as desired)
Closing Prayers
Thanksgiving
Glory to you, Lord, for every blessing I have seen and every blessing I have failed to notice. Thank you for life, for mercy, for repentance, for the Cross and Resurrection of Christ, and for the hope of the age to come. Teach me to receive each day as a gift and to return it to you in love. Amen.
For Protection
Lord Jesus Christ, surround me and those I love with your mercy. Send your holy angels to guard us. Protect us from evil, strengthen us in temptation, and keep us faithful to you in thought, word, and action. Amen.
Final Doxology
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and always and forever. Amen. Father, have mercy on us and keep us faithful through Yeshua the Messiah. Fill us with your Holy Spirit and lead us in your truth. Amen.
Akathist to Our Sweetest Lord Jesus Christ
Modern-English devotional adaptation preserving the traditional Kontakion and Ikos structure. Not an official liturgical translation.
Kontakion 1
To you, victorious Leader and Lord, Conqueror of Hades, I, your creature and servant, offer a song of praise, because you have delivered me from eternal death. In your unfailing loving-kindness, rescue me from every danger, so that I may cry out to you:
Ikos 1
Creator of the angels and Lord of hosts, long ago you opened the ears and loosened the tongue of the man who could not hear or speak. In the same way, open my confused mind and my lips now, so that I may praise your most holy name and cry out to you:
Kontakion 2
When you saw the widow weeping bitterly, O Lord, you were moved with compassion and raised her son from the dead as he was being carried to burial. In the same way, have mercy on me, Lover of mankind, and raise my soul, which has been made dead by sin, as I cry:
Ikos 2
Wanting to understand what cannot be fully understood, Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father." You answered him, "Have I been with you so long, and still you do not know that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?" O Jesus, beyond all understanding, with reverence I cry to you:
Kontakion 3
O Jesus, you clothed your apostles, who waited in Jerusalem, with power from on high. Clothe me also, though I am stripped of good works, with the warmth and power of your Holy Spirit, and grant that I may sing to you with love:
Ikos 3
In the greatness of your mercy, O Jesus, you called tax collectors, sinners, and unbelievers. Do not despise me, for I am like them. Instead, receive this song as precious perfume as I cry to you:
Kontakion 4
Peter was overwhelmed by a storm of doubt and began to sink. But when he saw you, O
your saving hand, he cried:
Ikos 4
When the blind man heard that you, O Lord, were passing by, he cried out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" You called him and opened his eyes. In the same way, open the spiritual eyes of my heart with your love, so that I may cry to you:
Kontakion 5
Long ago, O Jesus, you redeemed us from the curse of the law by your divine and life-giving blood. In the same way, rescue us from the traps of the serpent, from the passions of the flesh, from sinful desires, and from the darkness of despair, as we cry to you:
Ikos 5
When the children of Israel saw the Creator in human form and recognized him as their Lord, they hurried to honor him with palm branches, crying, "Hosanna!" We also offer you our song and say:
Kontakion 6
In fulfillment of the words and message of the prophets who spoke by God, O Jesus, you appeared on earth. Though all creation cannot contain you, you came to live among us and took our weaknesses upon yourself. By your wounds we are healed, and so we have learned to sing:
Ikos 6
The light of your truth shone upon the world, and the deception of demons was driven away. Idols fell, O our Savior, because they could not stand before your power. But we, having received salvation, cry to you:
Kontakion 7
Desiring to reveal the mystery hidden through the ages, O Jesus, you were led like a sheep to the slaughter and like a lamb silent before its shearer. Yet because you are God, you rose from the dead and ascended into heaven in glory. You also raised us up with you, and we cry:
Ikos 7
The Creator revealed a wonderful mystery to us: he took flesh from a Virgin without a human father, rose from the tomb while the seal remained unbroken, and entered bodily into the room where the apostles were gathered even though the doors were locked. Filled with wonder, we sing:
Kontakion 8
Seeing God wonderfully made flesh, let us turn away from the emptiness of this passing world and set our minds on the things of God. For God came down to earth so that he might raise to heaven all who cry to him:
Ikos 8
The One who fills all things was present here below, yet was never absent from heaven above. He willingly suffered for our sake. By his death, he destroyed our death, and by his resurrection, he gave life to those who sing:
Kontakion 9
All the angels of heaven glorify your most holy name without ceasing, O Jesus, crying, "Holy, holy, holy!" But we sinners on earth, with lips made from dust, also cry:
Ikos 9
Even the most gifted speakers become silent before you, O Jesus our Savior, because they cannot explain how you are fully human and yet remain the unchanging God. But we, amazed by this mystery, cry out in faith:
Kontakion 10
Desiring to save the world, O Jesus, Dawn from on high, you took our fallen human nature upon yourself and humbled yourself even to death. Therefore your name has been exalted above every name, and from every part of heaven and earth you hear:
Ikos 10
Eternal King, Comforter, and true Christ, cleanse us from every stain, as you cleansed the ten lepers. Heal us as you healed the greedy heart of Zacchaeus the tax collector, so that with repentance and love we may cry aloud to you:
Kontakion 11
Though I am unworthy, I offer you this humble song. Like the Canaanite woman, I cry to you, "Jesus, have mercy on me!" It is not my daughter, but my own flesh that is violently troubled by passions and burns with sinful desire. Grant healing to me as I cry to you:
Ikos 11
Paul once persecuted you, O Jesus, Light of those who live in the darkness of ignorance. But he listened to the powerful voice of your divine revelation and learned how quickly a soul can be changed. Shine your light into the darkness of my soul also, as I cry:
Kontakion 12
Give me your grace, O Jesus, Forgiver of every debt. Receive me as I repent, just as you received Peter after he denied you. Call me when I am discouraged, just as you once called Paul when he persecuted you. Hear me as I cry to you:
Ikos 12
Praising your incarnation, we all glorify you. With Thomas we believe that you are Lord and God, seated with the Father and coming again to judge the living and the dead. Grant that I may stand at your right hand on that day, as I now cry:
Kontakion 13
O most sweet and all-compassionate Jesus, receive this small prayer of ours as you received the widow's two small coins. Guard your people from every enemy, visible and invisible; from war and invasion; from disease and famine; from every trial, disaster, and deadly wound. And rescue from the punishment to come all who cry to you:
Ikos 1 - Repeated
Creator of the angels and Lord of hosts, long ago you opened the ears and loosened the tongue of the man who could not hear or speak. In the same way, open my confused mind and my lips now, so that I may praise your most holy name and cry out to you:
Kontakion 1 - Repeated
To you, victorious Leader and Lord, Conqueror of Hades, I, your creature and servant, offer a song of praise, because you have delivered me from eternal death. In your unfailing loving-kindness, rescue me from every danger, so that I may cry out to you:
Prayer To Our Lord Jesus Christ
To you, O Lord, who alone are good and do not hold our sins against us forever, I confess my sins. Unworthy as I am, I fall down before you and cry: "I have sinned, O Lord; I have sinned. Because of the great number of my sins, I am not worthy even to lift my eyes toward heaven." But you, my Lord and my God, give me tears of true repentance. You alone are good and merciful. Let me plead with you through those tears to cleanse me from every sin before the end of my life. For the path I must pass when I leave this body is fearful, and a multitude of dark and merciless spiritual enemies waits for me. No human being will be able to come to my aid or rescue me then. Therefore I fall before your goodness and beg you: Do not hand me over to those who seek to harm me. Do not let my enemies triumph over me, O good Lord, or say, "You have fallen into our hands; you have been given over to us." Do not forget your compassion, O Lord. Do not repay me as my sins deserve, and do not turn your face away from me. Correct me, Lord, but do it with mercy and compassion. Do not let my enemy rejoice over me; instead, bring all his works against me to nothing. Give me a pure and unhindered way to you, O good Lord. Though I have sinned, I have not run to another physician, nor have I stretched out my hands to a foreign god. So do not reject my prayer. Hear me in your goodness. Strengthen my heart in reverent fear of you, and let your grace rest upon me like a fire that consumes every impure thought within me. For you, O Lord, are the Light above every light, the Joy above every joy, the Rest beyond every rest, the true Life, and the Salvation that remains forever and ever.
Textual Note
This collection draws from Scripture and from historic Christian prayer traditions, but it has been revised around a focused Messianic Jewish Christian pattern: prayer to God, ordinarily to the Father through Yeshua the Messiah, with a continual desire to be filled and led by the Holy Spirit.
Historic prayers have been retained, adapted, or omitted according to that purpose. Direct prayers to Mary, saints, and angels are not included. Miriam, Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael are remembered from Scripture or, in Raphael’s case, from the deuterocanonical Book of Tobit, while intercession and saving confidence are centered on Yeshua. The Apostles’ Creed and Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed are included as historic summaries of Christian belief, not as replacements for Scripture.
Every prayer in this collection has been rendered into contemporary English for devotional readability. The collection is intentionally not labeled “NIV,” because the NIV is a specific copyrighted Bible translation. The language here simply aims for clear, direct, contemporary readability.
This free resource may be shared as a devotional collection. Please do not present these modernized texts as official liturgical translations of any church body.
Pray with attention. Pray with faith. Pray with love.
David Charles Kramer — “David the Evangelist”
A Jewish follower of Yeshua the Messiah
Not for sale.
Comments
Post a Comment